What IMPROVEMENTS would you like to see in the CRUZ aircraft ?

From your friendly Admin. I would like to get some ideas going on potential Improvements and Upgrades for the Piper Sport / Sport Cruiser / PS-28 aircraft.

These could be new enhancements to be found in entirely new CRUZ aircraft, or Upgrades to existing aircraft (with a LOA --letter of authorization ) available from the manufacturer.

The topic list is wide open from new avionics, new Creature comforts, new flying capabilities, new graphics or paint options, and on and on.

My idea is that we would do this "Improvement Idea List" on the forum in a two step process:

1) over the next month or two, we would gather inputs from everyone* as to "what you would like" for the CRUZ aircraft

2) we would then Rank the ideas using a Forum Poll of all the topics and prioritize the ideas from "most wanted" to "least wanted" in a Ranked List from the SCFLIER OWNER OPERATOR community.

I think the improvement ideas should be considered independent of potential future cost, at least at the beginning.

And, all ideas must fit under the category of still meeting the Light Sport Aircraft (LSA) rules. So that would rule out adding JATO bottles for super short takeoff since the JATO bottles would exceed the 1320 lbs weight limit and not be a "single engine". And a modification for retractable landing gear or two additional passenger seats would not fit in the LSA category. Other than that, the sky is the limit.

I'll start the "idea" list with an idea of my own, and others can throw in their ideas, and after we get a large number of ideas, I will turn it into a FORUM POLL so we all* can each "vote" on our top three ideas and that will allow us to generate a ranked list.

* One comment - we do have some "manufacturer CSA" and "sales/support - US SPORT AIRCRAFT" members on the SCFLIER forum, so I think it best that these "insiders" don't provide input based on their inside knowledge... The idea list should be generated from owners and operators of the aircraft, or also folks that are considering buying a new CRUZ aircraft, or perhaps considering a competitor to the CRUZ that may have a feature NOT currently available on the CRUZ aircraft. I have the ability to control the inputs based on who is submitting them so please follow this comment so that the ideas come from the Owners/Operators and not the CSA Manufacturer or US SPORT AIRCRAFT employees.

Please limit your ideas to "somewhat reasonable" ideas. I.e., no ejection seats or USN carrier capable structures...remember the (USA FAA) LSA rules when you submit ideas....

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An Idea for improving the CRUZ aircraft:

A Letter of Authorization allowing a Pitot tube upgrade to provide measurement and display of Angle of Attack (AOA) on an existing Dynon Cockpit display.

One way to do this would be to use the available Dynon AOA measuring Pitot tube upgrade hardware and this new AOA Pitot tube would sense AOA measurements and send them to existing software capabilities already available in the Dynon D100 and Skyview avionics.

The Dynon AOA probe provides for an in-flight calibration process by performing a series of Stall maneuvers, and then AOA is available on the Dynon displays for use all the time while flying.

How do you improve on perfection? :D

All joking aside, I agree with you, the Dynon AOA is my number 1 improvement suggestion to CSA . It simply does not make any sense that we already have all the necessary hardware/software built in to the Dynon to monitor this but they dont include the Dynon AOA pitot tube. It's been proven by the FAA to be safer and there are numerous studies and white papers out there to back this up.

As an owner of an older aircraft I (and others with older aircraft) benefit from all the improvements already in the newer planes. We can simply upgrade to the newer avionics and not have to worry about LOA and paperwork. The factory has already approved the new "bling" and we can just upgrade. This summer I have a plan to upgrade all my avionics to newer and add ADS-B as well.

Not an owner (yet), but as an observer:

- AOA

- Some means of securing/guarding the canopy lever. Could be as simple as a short strap with a snap on the end that mates with the console. Or as complicated as changing the travel path of the lever to a "J" so when closed its sitting in an indent preventing an inadvertent upward tug of the lever by a headset cord or something.

Merlinspop, the "J" feature you suggested wouldn't work. There would be no way to open the canopy from the outside by rescue workers if you crash and are unconscious. The strap/snap idea might work.

AOA, I couldn't agree more. I started my training in a Remos G3 with AOA and it was a very nice feature to have.

Good luck on your search/purchase.

Personally I would like the stick to be shorter (or adjustable).

Also AOA. The new ones have a Piper-style stall warning that is mounted in the leading edge of the left wing. It's connected to a LOUD speaker mounted where headset hanger is. I find it very annoying and sometimes pull the c/b in turbulence due to false triggers on final in the 65kt range. It's a piercing siren like sound that fortunately is not in the headset, but you better have them on when it triggers. AOA in the headset would be much nicer.

I also agree that the canopy latch needs improvement. Look at NTSB and lots of incidents/accidents that seem to start with a canopy issue. 

Thanks SCFLIER members for some COOL CRUZ AIRCRAFT IMPROVEMENT IDEAS !

and for others in the SCFLIER community who have not yet added to the CRUZ IMPROVEMENTS WISH LIST,

we,

as CUSTOMER PILOTs of this fine aircraft ....

WE Do not have to DESIGN the final answer now.

All we need now is a list of IMPROVEMENTS DESIRED.

once we get the IMPROVEMENT LIST compiled ,

Then we can "VOTE" Later,

to develop a priority list with "most desired" improvement at the top of the list, followed by "second most desired", etc.

It is up to the Aircraft Manufacturer (or avionics manufacturer or ....adjustable length control stick Manufacturer, ....)

to

DESIGN

the FUNCTIONAL Improvement, so let's not worry about the DESIGN details now. Comments are great.

If we concentrate now on the new Function desired, that will be enough to get the IMPROVEMENT List going.

And while cost will certainly be a factor at some point, right now the idea is to brainstorm some cool IMPROVEMENTS.

someone else can figure out how to make them Clever, producible, well engineered, affordable designs.

Thanks all, and I expect there are more cool CRUZ IMPROVEMENT ideas out there,

even though the CRUZ is NEARLY PERFECT NOW and ALREADY the BEST LSA out there already......

PS -- no Insider IMPROVEMENT idea Information allowed from US SPORT or CSA please....

Merlinspop, the "J" feature you suggested wouldn't work. There would be no way to open the canopy from the outside by rescue workers if you crash and are unconscious. The strap/snap idea might work.

AOA, I couldn't agree more. I started my training in a Remos G3 with AOA and it was a very nice feature to have.

Good luck on your search/purchase.

I'm sure a good engineer could work out an external release. Or in the event of a crash, a hammer would do the trick.

A very small overhead red light for seeing inside cockpit at night. I have a glass cockpit, and my Instrument Light switch does not do anything (as far as I can tell). A red light that you could turn on where the headset hanger is over the right shoulder of the pilot could be useful. I use a red headlamp to see switches/fuses/where my bag is/everything inside the cockpit.

I've seen these in BMW's and other cars. I have a Jetta and next to where the rearview mirror/sunroof/roof lights there is a 1-2 mm red light that gives the slightest glow inside the car. Something similar to that.

Thanks to everyone.....Some great "What Improvements Would You Like for the CRUZ Aircraft" !

in an attempt to structure our wish list,  I have heard about five categories that I will group ideas into in a Working List:

"Code A" for Avionics improvements

"Code C" for Creature Comforts improvements

"Code F" for flying capabilities improvements

"Code S" for Safety feature improvements

"Code L" for Looks cool,  as in Airplane Ramp appeal,  ...Paint Ideas, Graphics, or any other ideas that are just Cool,  but don't necessarily  make the airplane fly better, safer, easier, or with new Avionics WOW features.

Of course there may be some overlap,  with AOA providing  new Avionics displays and also Safety improvements for example.  And the categories don't matter much other than to maybe get some more ideas coming.

Here is the summary list of Improvements so far - comments welcome.  I didn't include the on-the-ground "canopy exit hammer", because we can buy that small hammer lots of places and put it in our "possibles" bag..

in the "Code A"  Avionics Improvements category

1) A Letter of Authorization (LOA) to allow use of the Dynon Angle of Attack AOA sensing Pitot tube, and to add an external static port,  to feed AOA

into existing Dynon D-100 and Skyview display's SW capabilities.

in both the "Code C" Creature comforts and the "Code L" Looks Cool categories

1) A sliding canopy option - ramp appeal,  cooler in the summer,  and more

2) a small 1-2 mm diameter overhead red night light for Night VFR use,  located near the headset hangar

in the "Code F" Flying capabilities category:

1) An adjustable length control stick - a shorter control stick

2) A tail dragger landing gear option,  like the Bristell LSA offers

in the "Code S" Safety category

1) an improved in-cockpit canopy release handle, with some kind of guard/security restraint available for use inside,  

while retaining the ability of outside emergency personnel to open the canopy release if the landing is made with canopy still latched.   

(AOA display might fit here also in "S" Safety,  ....wondering if there are any other "Safety" Improvement ideas out there?)

I am sure there are lots more great Wish List Improvement ideas out there....maybe even some new categories.

Ground rules

1) you don't have to "design it",  that's someone else's job.   Just list CRUZ ideas for improvement.  Think "Functional Improvement",  WHAT do you want,  not necessarily HOW does it work.

2) sure, Cost is always a factor,  but the Improvement Idea list should come first,  and maybe CAW or US Sport has ways to make it less expensive, clever, robust,  producible, and still AWESOME. 

3) In order to prevent this "Improvement List Generation" string from going on forever,  let's try and get all ideas in by Monday June 27.  More input is better !

4) Please -- no Insider IMPROVEMENT idea Information allowed from US SPORT or CAW -- they might already have a list of cool improvements they are working on.... 

There is no better group to come up with some cool Improvement Ideas than the Pilots that fly CRUZ aircraft already!!!

Let's plan on "voting" to determine a ranked list of Improvement Ideas starting the week of June 27.

D

A new idea for "code S" Safety Improvements

An improved safety belt harness with an extra belt Inbetween the legs to prevent submarining under the lap belt. (5 pt harness).

Also, is there any interest from the community in air bag equipped safety belts ?

Another new category, with perhaps a new "Code R" for Reliability improvements....

1) longer lasting, more reliable Voltage regulators ?

2) longer lasting, more reliable Exhaust Gas Temperature sensors ?

3) more rugged, more reliable starter clutch ? Of course this is a Rotax Idea, not directly under CAW control...

Perhaps a cost-effective pathway for new improvements to be retrofit to the existing fleet.  My plane was in the shipping container on the way to the US when the new more robust nose leg was announced.  Cost to upgrade is significant.  

Move the 12 volt plug back to the area where it was during the PiperSport years.  Now on the passenger side panel, it is in the way.  On the PiperSport, a phone or tablet could be plugged in and placed upright next to the passenger and the cord was not in the way.  Could also place charging USB ports on the opposite side of the pillar in addition to where they are now for SkyView.  If they were there, I would not need the 12 Volt port.

1. Move the headphone jacks, possibly to the panel. The location next to the canopy latch is messy and can lead to the canopy becoming unlatched in flight.

2. Some means for securing the canopy partially open, say 2" or so during ground ops, I current use a piece of foam pool noodle.

3. Better ventilation with the canopy closed  that can be retrofit to the existing fleet

4. Armrests as available in the newer models that can be retrofit to the existing fleet

5. A library of previously issued LOA's to be used as a reference resource. 

Excellent additional ideas added to our "list" of desired improvements to the CRUZ aircraft. !!!

Remember -- all ideas should be submitted by Monday June 27. At that time, I will post the process for "voting" so that we can generate a ranked list from "most wanted" to "Still wanted, but not as many votes and not the highest priority for the group".

Thanks everyone for providing inputs. I expect there are several folks who have not provided an idea yet. This is a "no judgment zone", so please submit your ideas....we are brainstorming here, not designing the final answer....it's up to CAW and US SPORT to make it producible, effective, a solid design, and AFFORDABLE.

Finally, please no input from US Sport or CSA employees - I am sure they are already working on improvement ideas, and we don't want to skew the ranking to things they are working on already and want to sell....

Deadline approaching for final CUSTOMER/PILOT/OWNER INPUT

Into "What Improvements would you like to see in the Sport Cruiser / Piper Sport CRUZ aircraft" !

All improvement ideas must be submitted by Monday June 27, 2016.

Next week I will provide details on how we will rank the ideas with "Most Wanted" at the top of the list.

If you are a CRUZ aircraft owner, Pilot, Student Pilot Training in a CRUZ, or even someone considering buying one (or comparing to a competitor LSA) and you have thought....I wish the Sport Cruiser / Piper Sport had .......

Now is the time to get your idea submitted!

Thanks to all who have already submitted ideas.

The Deadline is Monday June 27

Just saw that the AOPA Sweepstakes Aircraft will have new windows that are supposed to block UV and lower cockpit temps, that would be a nice upgrade.

See below;

The winner of our 172 Sweepstakes won’t have that issue–at least, not unless he or she lives in Phoenix, Arizona. That’s because the technicians at Yingling Aviation in Wichita have installed a complete PolyOne SC15 UV/infrared blocking solar gray window set. The window set was provided by LP Aero Plastics Inc. of Jeannette, Pennsylvania.What do all those numbers and letters mean? The windows include an acrylic material that is said to decrease cockpit temperatures 10 to 30 degrees Fahrenheit. The material provides protection from ultraviolet rays that can harm you. 

1) Improved engine cooling while holding short on 95+ degree F days. (Larger radiator, oil cooler, and/or cowling ventilation.)

2) Sizzling Interior Ramp Appeal! Look to match or beat Bristell.

3) Safer more foolproof canopy latch mechanism, in terms of:

a) ensuring canopy is latched before flight... if canopy is lowered it should be latched automatically.

B) reduced possibility of partially latched canopy on one side only

c) less vulnerable to inadvertent unlatching

4) latches (not screws) to secure wing lockers. (Has this been done already?)

More challenging ideas:

1) improved cruise speed and climb performance