change to experimental registration and impact on market value

Oh I'm damn sure about that! :D

I hear ya Bob on the "male duties" We recently adopted a greyhound and he's just like a kid, really! Time is getting very limited around here. Sometimes I just sneak away and dont come back for hours. :P

There is only one shared hangar close to Dave's end of the field so that has to be the same one. And there's lots more room over the standard T hangars there.

Removing the fuel level sensor is easy, the tank not so much. That'll require possibly new paint. When I spoke to Patrick last year at Sun-n-Fun he mentioned to me that the factory was going to issue a SB for the legacy aircraft that didn't have the return fuel line to the left tank and force us to add one. That requires removing the tank and that means the skin on the leading edge of the wing. He mentioned that meant new paint as well in some cases. That's because all new rivets and then body filler to make them look solid.

This is just another reason I'm glad I went E-LSA, I've never had ANY fuel pressure problems and I'll be damned if I'm going to open that can of worms and start down a road so many others have been down. NO THANKS!

I dont remember there being baffles in the tanks. I thought I looked into mine once to see the fuel level sensor and dont remember baffles. Who know the gas fumes could have clouded my memory even more.:wacko:  

As far as 2020 and a lease back. You only need to equip for 2020 IF you plan to fly:

• in class A airspace of course but that does not apply to LSA
  • in Class B airspace inside the mode C ring 
  • in Class C airspace
  • in class E airspace above 10,000 feet MSL but not below 2,500 AGL
  • above 3000' MSL within 12 nm of the coastline of the US
  • Basically anywhere that requires a transponder today will require ADS-B out equipment 

If none of these apply then owners dont need to equip for the mandate. My home airport is inside the Tampa Mode C veil so unless I move I have no choice.

I can't imagine that CSA would not issue a blanket LOA for ONE ADS-B solution for legacy aircraft. I'm leaning towards the GTX-335 and my guess. Stranger things have happened but who know at this point. That would force me to look at LSA manufacturers other than CSA knowing they were not willing to support their loyal customers. This would be bad business for them.

My brain hurts now.....:o

RTK, Shawn, .....

Seems like the following thoughts may apply re "why aren't the CSA LOAs for ADS-B solutions available yet".... and many more situations involving the human condition....An attempt at humor....

"Hanlon's razor is an aphorism expressed in various ways including..."

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

or

"Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding."

And

Another variation of this thought....

"... misunderstandings and neglect create more confusion in this world than trickery and malice. At any rate, the last two are certainly much less frequent...."

might make your brain(s) hurt a little less.  

D

Navworx has been anticipating a ruling from the FAA and they are ready to fix the affected units. This has been going on with them for a while now. This is the only issue I've heard of so far with regards to ADS-B equipment.

As with all technology the units will get more advanced and less expensive as time goes on. I bet those willing to wait will get the best deal on ADS-B. Heck, there are LSA/experimental units available now for under $1000 already The issue will be installation time for those with S-LSA. 

Agree with the SCFLIER comments above,  and certainly Navworx has damaged their reputation by making a change to the 

Source Integrity Level (SIL) transmitted ADS-B OUT parameter from a "0" to a "3" on three specific later generation Navworx ADS-B units with part numbers 200-0012, 200-0013,  and the "LSA/Experimental" Model ADS600–EXP units, P/N 200–8013.   These specific part number units were advertised to meet the "performance requirements" (not the TSO certification requirements),  which clearly the USA FAA disagrees.

Transmitting a "3" gives the USA FAA ATC a way to determine if an ADS-B OUT transmitter is working correctly and is suitable for use in Safe Separation ATC activities.       ADS-B OUT units' aircraft position data with SIL Transmitting a "0" will not be used by ATC.    And,   the USA FAA is working hard to eliminate "Non-Performing" ADS-B Out emitters from the ATC activities,   a good thing for safe, reliable aircraft separation in areas where ADS-B OUT will be required on 1/1/2020. 

Navworx modified their software to transmit a SIL of "3" for part numbers 200-0012, 200-0013,  and the "LSA/Experimental" Model ADS600–EXP units, P/N 200–8013 when (early 2016) the FAA terminated  providing  Traffic Information Service—Broadcast (TIS–B) services to aircraft broadcasting ADS–B with a SIL of 0.     The USA FAA made this change to prevent "Non-Performing" Emitters from "participating" in the improved Traffic data provided ONLY to acceptable ADS-B OUT performing aircraft.  The FAA's concern, of course, was safe separation of aircraft.

From the USA FAA AD:

"FAA Response: NavWorx has not demonstrated to the FAA that the internal position source meets the performance requirements in Appendix B to AC 20–165B1 for a SIL of 3. The design specifications for NavWorx’s P/N 200–0012 and 200–0013 ADS–B units identify the internal GPS source for those units as an uncertified SiRF IV GPS. The SiRF IV is a commercial grade chipset not manufactured under an FAA Technical Standard Order (TSO). AC 20–165B requires the SIL be set at 0 when the ADS–B is integrated with an uncertified GPS source

The FAA says 

..."It is NavWorx’s change of the SIL setting in these units to 3, without any qualification of the internal uncertified GPS position source to support broadcast of SIL 3, that the FAA finds unacceptable. In this condition, the units are transmitting to ATC and to nearby aircraft that they have 14 CFR § 91.227-compliant position source integrity, when their position source integrity is actually not compliant with that rule, or is unknown."

"The FAA’s safety concern is primarily that of integrity, and not necessarily accuracy, with respect to the NavWorx ADS–B unit’s performance requirements. Accuracy refers to the probability of the unit’s true position in relation to its reported position.  Integrity refers to the trust that can be placed in the correctness of the information provided by the unit and is specified by a SIL value. The SIL value is set based on design data from the GPS position source manufacturer and reflects the probability that the position source will provide incorrect data without providing an alert."

It is important to note that Navworx earlier generation (circa 2012) ADS600-B  OUT/IN UAT units with part numbers

200-0112, and 200-0113

use a CERTIFIED GPS Position Source chipset built by Accord Technologies (now NexNav) and 

these earlier model Navworx UAT's MEET the USA FAA TSO Performance requirements,  have 91.227 Compliant Position Source Integrity, and are NOT the subject of the Airworthiness Directive,  and are still legal, accurate,  and provide a System Integrity Level (SIL=3) acceptable to the USA FAA for use in Safe Separation of Aircraft ATC.

The early model Navworx UAT's part number 200-0112 and 200-0113 use the Accord NexNav mini GPS position source, which is internal to the TSO certified GPS Position Source Navworx UAT's.

From the FAA AD: - a Summary of Navworx Part Numbers and GPS Positions Sources used:

"P/N 200–0112 and P/N 200–0113 are 2020 compliant, as these units contain a TSO–C145c approved Accord NexNav Mini internal GPS.

P/N 200–0012 and P/ N 200–0013, which are the subject of this AD, are not 2020 compliant because these units contain the uncertified SiRF IV GPS."

What does Source Integrity Level,  SIL = 3 Mean ? 

SIL refers to the GPS Position Source Integrity - the correctness of the information provided by the ADS-B OUT unit.

Source Integrity Level, SIL = 3 means that the per flight hour or per sample probability of exceeding the horizontal NIC containment radius is less than or equal to 1X10**-7

NIC - Navigation Integrity Category.   NIC specifies an "integrity containment" radius around an aircraft's reported position.  The aircraft's NIC must be less than 0.2 nautical miles;  i.e., NIC must be > or equal to 7.

The FAA AD

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2017-06-06/pdf/2017-11625.pdf