SCFLIER forum website access problems February 14, 2017

From your friendly SCFLIER Forum admin / owner Dave

Yesterday, some of y'all may have experienced a problem accessing the SCFLIER Forum website.

The problem was at the SCFLIER Forum website level and was NOT a problem with your individual computer.

The problem was resolved later yesterday by Invision, the folks that maintain and provide our website services at a monthly fee and support charge.

I am working with the Support personnel at Invision to understand what the issue was and what they will do to prevent access problems in the future. I am also pressing Invision for up to date details on how they "back up" and maintain copies of our SCFLIER Forum material to prevent loss of any of our postings and to protect the website against hacker/virus/etc attacks from those that may attempt to disrupt the service.

More information will be provided as it is available.

In the meantime, if we should lose access to the SCFLIER Forum again, may I suggest that an alternate use of your valuable time is to go out and FLY your airplane....

Regards

Dave
SCFLIER Forum Admin/Owner

SCF_problem_01.jpg

SCF_problem_02.jpg

The SCFLIER Forum experienced more "down time" late last night with inability to get to the www.scflier.com forum website over several hours.

Earlier this week, I have requested and received a "backup" of all of our Forum material, now saved on my own computer and backups to same, which could be used to recreate the forum in the event

of technical problems at the source - the website maintainer company. But, of course new forum material posted after the backup was made would not be available and not restored. Under the maintenance program we have, I am allowed one "off site" backup per month without additional fees, and I plan to request an archive of all the SCFLIER Forum material "off site" on my personal computer on a monthly basis as a separate backed up source of SCFLIER Forum material.

The forum website maintainer does back up all SCFLIER Forum material daily, and of course that is our best bet to recreate the forum in a "disaster" scenario at the website system source, assuming that their facility (with the backup stored inside their building) is not also destroyed by some "disaster". Using this website maintained backup would only have up to a "one day" potential loss of forum material.

If any SCFLIER Forum Member has any Forum material that is critical to the member, and they do not have this material also "saved" in a personal backup on their own computer systems, it may be wise to consider placing your material in an accessible backup medium at your computer, for your own personal uses.

I will continue to press the folks that maintain our actual SCFLIER Forum site for answers as to the causes of recent outages. I am confident that the website maintainer will do their best to keep our SCFLIER Forum running, but in this day of "computer technology advances (and issues)", individual Members should be aware of a small risk of loss to their posted Forum material.

I am also investigating an UPGRADE to our Website maintainer company Forum software to their newest advanced forum "4.X" software version baseline. We have been running on a "3.X" software baseline for several years now. The "4.X" software started use in August of 2016 and appears to

Be relatively stable after about six months of use by other Forums hosted by our same

Website maintainer company.

Some "PROs" of updating to this new "4.X" Software baseline are advanced user interface features, a more common "look and feel" of the Forum between "desktop computers" and "iPhone/IPad/cell phone platforms", as well as promised continued support of our Forum on the latest "4.X" software baseline as well as some administrative feature set improvements.

The "CONs" of upgrading our Forum software to the new "4.X" software baseline is that some features and "buttons" are different requiring some small "learning curve" for Members to adjust to the new Forum software, as well as risk of technical problems potentially embedded in the new "4.X" software as it matures. I have tested a Pilot version of the new "4.X" software and found it to be easy to use, intuitive, and very minimal "new" interface learning required. Another "CON" to an upgrade is that a transition period during the upgrade will prevent Member access for about one day while all of our Forum material is transported to the new "4.X" software based platform. However, A major "PRO" of upgrading to the new "4.X" software baseline is that our particular "3.X" software version is advertised to eventually be no longer "long term" supportable, with a freeze on future "3.X" software updates starting in April 2017. For that reason alone, it will benefit our Members long term to transition to the new "4.X" Software platform, perhaps as early as a TBD date in March 2017.

More info as it becomes available.

Dave

SCFLIER FORUM Admin

An explanation of our two recent SCFLIER Forum "website down times" from the

Forum website provider...

"It was 'bad timing', unfortunately.

One issue was caused by a problem on the server hosting your site, which has been fixed,

and the other due to another account on that server, which has also been addressed.

It was just bad luck the second was the same server as the first.

Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Regards,

Mark H"

Let's hope the "bad timing" doesn't happen again anytime soon....

D

• 1 month later...

Notice to all Members of the SportCruiser SCFLIER Forum

acting as the Admin of the Forum,  I receive periodic notices from our Website supplier company  on various topics.

A major topic that has been communicated to me ( see 2 posts above) is UPGRADING our Website maintainer company Forum software to their newest advanced forum "4.X" software version baseline.

We have been running on a "3.X" software baseline for several years now. The "4.X" software started use (on other Forums run by the same company) in August of 2016 and appears to be relatively stable now after about six months of use by other Forums hosted by our same Website maintainer company.

Lately,  I have been receiving increasing "pressure" to Upgrade our Forum to the "4.X" Forum software baseline,  due to improved Forum security features,  improved and new fun features of the 4.X software for members,  and the Forum Company's promise to discontinue Support of the older "3.X" Software in April of 2017.

I believe it is time for us to UPGRADE the SCFLIER Forum Website SW to the newest, supportable, improved "4.X" baseline.    

There will be some "new buttons" to learn how to push and some "new features" with the new "4.X" software,  but I am confident that our members will like the new version better,  based on some testing I have done on a trial "sample" version. 

I am working towards a FORUM SW CONVERSION changeover date of April 26, 2017.

The SCFLIER Forum website maintainer company assures me that the CHANGEOVER to the new software will take less than one day.

Having worked in the software line for many years,   I expect there will be some minor issues to work out,  and a learning curve for our members.

All of the EXISTING SCFLIER SportCruiser Forum Material,   all images,  all text,  all postings,  all avatars,  all Forum structure and content,  will carry over directly to the new Forum Software Baseline "as is".

However,  just to be cautious,  If anyone has "very special to them" data or images, or uploaded files that a member has  placed on the forum that can not be replicated anywhere else via a personal backup,  I would encourage them to make a backup of these precious data images and files before our April 26, 2017 changeover date.

Also,  to minimize any need for action on our Members part,  I have been requesting and receiving  MONTHLY BACKUPs of all our forum postings,  images,  and attachments from the website maintainer company,  and I keep these Backups Stored on my personal computer,  which is also backed up separately,  remotely.

Three examples of our SCFLIER Image posting backups - of one Members' Posted Image gallery,  and the second, Images posted to our Forum in March of 2017 in various member's postings, and finally the third example,  all of our Members who have individual AVATAR Images,  are shown below.  The Text postings of each daily forum postings are also backed up, of course,  but these take MUCH less disk space.

All told,  our March 24, 2017 SCFLIER Forum backup used 1.32 gigabytes of storage room (when extracted fully) on my computer.

Get ready for some new Forum Features and New Forum Software April 26, 2017 !

I will provide more details on when (Zulu time) exactly in late April that the SCFLIER Forum will be down and when it will be back up again....

regards - Comments Welcome

Dave

Example_of_a_Members_Image_Gallery_Backup_3-25-2017.jpg

Example_of_a_Monthly_Update_for_March-2017_Members_Images_Attached_to_Postings.jpg

Example_of_Copies_of_Members_AVATARs_March-2017.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

To all SCFLIER SportCruiser Forum members

next Wednesday, 4/26/17

is "SCFLIER Forum software upgrade day"

From the old, no longer supported "3.X" website software

To the new, supportable "4.X" website software.

I have already received my personal ADMIN offsite BACKUP of all SCFLIER Forum postings, images, uploads, links, etc. as of today's date.

I have been told that the Website support company will do everything they can to convert all of our SCFLIER material over to the new "4.X" software baseline next Wednesday 4/26/17.

Again, if anyone has priceless personal data that is only available to them on the SCFLIER Forum, they should take steps to generate a personal backup of this material by the end of this week.

I have been informed that the WEBSITE SOFTWARE UPDATE is "quick and easy" but having worked software for over 30 years, I do expect some potential Forum downtime next Wednesday.

Looking forward to new features with the "4.X" software website product!

More details will be provided as they are available...

D

Reminder

To all SCFLIER SportCruiser Forum members

TOMORROW

Wednesday, 4/26/17

is "SCFLIER Forum software upgrade day"

From the old, no longer supported "3.X" website software

To the new, supportable "4.X" website software.

SCFLIER Forum members should expect some Forum downtime tomorrow,

Wednesday 4/26/201,
likely to occur in the 1600 Zulu thru 2200 Zulu time frame
during the actual forum SW update process.....

D

• 5 months later...

I'm having an issue today, 9/25/17, with downloading files from the forum.

Can anyone else download any of the files or do you get an error? I need to update two of my files and wanted to download the version I have online but can't.

In fact I can't download ANY of the files online.

I sent a message to Dave to let him know.

Shawn and All SCFLIER SportCruiser Forum Members

I duplicated the download files problem noted by Shawn above and got a Cryptic Error Message,  File Not Found,  ....,   and I have contacted IPS Technical Support. 

The initial IPS Tech Support response was a suggestion to remove CACHE packing errors,  which was performed,  but this action did not solve the download problem.  

Their Next response was that they would get back to me via email within 48 hours.

Might be a bug related to one of the new Security Upgrades recently installed ?  or ........ ?

If the problem can be duplicated,  it can be fixed.  

Stay Tuned

Dave

Sorry, there is a problem

File not found

Error code: 3D161/G

• admin changed the title to SCFLIER forum website access problems February 14, 2017