I must admit that I questioned the decision to allow a new member with a Bristell to join our forum. I believe that this is a SportCruiser (SC) forum so not sure of that decision. Maybe I compare this to a Lamborghini owner joining a Ferrari club or a Mustang Owner joining a Camaro club. Mind you this is just how I feel and my opinion so I'm not trying to be negative about. I for one would not join a Bristell club while owning a SportCruiser as I am certain that I would be seen as a competitor looking for an opportunity to promote my brand....but then again this is just my opinion and we all know what they say about opinions.

Izzy 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

...Lamborghini owner joining a Ferrari club or a Mustang Owner joining a Camaro club...

Oooh, them's fightin' words!  :P  As a former Tifosi (Ferrari owner - twice over) and a die-hard Mustang/Ford loyalist, I would say that the comparison would present some competition and animosity between the brands.  Certainly there's competition as everyone is vying for pilots to purchase their aircraft, but I didn't think there was animosity between the brands.

To your point, an opinion is just that... an opinion, but my opinion is that the LSA owner community is still small enough that we should be supportive of each other. 

1 minute ago, rtk said:

Oooh, them's fightin' words!  :P  As a former Tifosi (Ferrari owner - twice over) and a die-hard Mustang/Ford loyalist, I would say that the comparison would present some competition and animosity between the brands.  Certainly there's competition as everyone is vying for pilots to purchase their aircraft, but I didn't think there was animosity between the brands.

To your point, an opinion is just that... an opinion, but my opinion is that the LSA owner community is still small enough that we should be supportive of each other. 

Hits home doesn't it! Well I feel the same way as you feel but in my case it's the SportCruiser and the Bristell. By the way, there is animosity between the brands and that's a good thing and it pushes ALL to be better. But, one thing you will never get from me is trying to sell my brand by bad mouthing or pointing out the negatives in another brand....as I've been told many a times over is done over at Bristell.

Again my point is specific to the NAME of our forum, it's is not an LSA owner Forum, Rotax Owner Forum. Taking a step further in the automotive world....in order to be a member of the PCA one has to own a Porsche and the same applies to the BMW brand. 

There are plenty on the forum that approve of the decision and I may be the only to not like the decision and that's quite okay. 

4 hours ago, JoshScheid said:

This should be titled "new confused member".  You are aware you are in a SportCruiser forum, correct?  I don't get it, this is similar to buying a Mercedes and posting photos and discussions on the BMW forum. 

What exactly to you plan to gain from posting in this forum?

Just curious.

-Josh Scheid

There is no Bristell Forum ? And because the Bristell and SC all incredibly close to being the same (Milan Bristela was on the SC design team), I thought with your experience and expertise with the Rotax 912, that I could glean so useful insight. Yes, I love my Mercedes but the BMW is also Germany engineered also a great vehicle . Just as Bristell is engineered in the Czech Republic not far from the SC....

I hope you don't feel threatened, there are only about 30-40 Bristell owners in the US.?

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

Well first things first . . . . . But, then again I heard that we will be having an SC owners that is a "6'-1" blonde swimsuit model with long legs, sexy eyes, firm butt and 36D boobs looking for my sugar daddy with a nice plane"....Now that may be worth the trip!

Izzy

3 hours ago, ronin5573 said:

Is Dynon still coming. I think they finally got the 472 adsb dual band  unit fixed.  Ask them when they should start shipping. 

Wow! . . . . somebody really needs to re-arrange their priorities. :D

To all friendly SCFLIER Forum members

As the SCFLIER Admin, it is my decision whether to “Approve” (or DisApprove)

all new member requests.

I believe that an OPEN Forum is a better Forum, and can provide 

MORE USEFUL Information to the

obvious FOCUS of the WORLDWIDE SCFLIER Forum:

• SportCruiser Aircraft owners and Pilots
  • PiperSport aircraft owners and Pilots
  • PS-28 aircraft owners and Pilots

It is is extremely RARE that I reject a new member request  and the VAST Majority of SCFLIER members fit one of  the three categories above.

I DID Approve our new SCFLIER Forum Member HWICK2000, based on a standard, quick,  “two way communication” via email.

I knew that HWICK2000 owned a Bristell, and I thought this to be an ADVANTAGE  for existing SportCruiser/PiperSport/PS-28 Members for the following reasons:

1. Milan Bristella LEFT CSA to design a “3rd Generation” LSA.  Milan is a superb aircraft designer and it seems he may have had ideas which he chose to implement on the newer Bristell LSA to IMPROVE on his previous AWESOME design, the SportCruiser LSA.  Existing SportCruiser/PiperSport/PS-28 Pilots, Owners, and even CSA and Cruiser Aircraft might learn something (pro or con) about the Bristell changes compared to the SportCruiser.   An open mind would be interested in new information.
  2. the Bristell shares our Rotax engine and has  improved on it with higher horsepower engine option choices.  The 914 Turbo and (in Europe) the  915 iS.    While CSA may not want to sell SportCruisers with higher horsepower (heavier) engines, existing SportCruiser or PiperSport and PS-28 owners may be allowed (for example going E-LSA in the FAA regulated USA) to change engines for increased Climb performance, Cruise speed, or both.  Why not LEARN about new 912, 912iS, 914, 915iS .... Rotax engine technology (Pro and Con) that might someday apply to our favorite SportCruiser airplane ?
  3. If we close our eyes and don’t look at what the competition is doing, the SportCruiser line will NOT survive long term.  An example - while I do like many new features of the Vans Aircraft RV-12iS LSA,  I DON’T like the RV-12’s design choice (just one example) of putting the fuel tank INSIDE  the cockpit.    Ouch. To me, fuel tanks in the wing mean better survivability in a crash.   The trade off is that the RV-12 has more easily removable wings for transport and garage storage for the airplane.  

Life is about choices.  

More Knowledge helps make better choices.   

I will continue to APPROVE

“MOST ALL” new SCFLIER member requests 

unless they are Spammers, Salespeople intent on turning our forum into a SPAM AD site, Robot Computers, etc.

I ask that we RESPECT and WELCOME all new members, regardless of what particular aircraft they may fly.

The “aircraft type” joining SCFLIER  is self regulating.   There are NOT going to be many V Tail Bonanza Pilot / Owners asking to join the SCFLIER Forum.

But another TYPE LSA aircraft owner that uses a Rotax 912 / 912iS / 914 / 915 engine ?   This owner may  have VERY useful information for a 

SportCruiser/PiperSport/PS-28

aircraft owner.  

Please RESPECT other people's varying opinions and backgrounds.

Disagreeing Respectfully is perfectly fine. A good way to learn more.

We all have OPINIONS and that’s what On Line Forums are about.  

Friendly, USEFUL, NEW Information related to

our favorite LSA aircraft, 

the SportCruiser/PiperSport/PS-28

is what THIS  SCFLIER forum is about.

Dave

7 hours ago, WmInce said:

Wow! . . . . somebody really needs to re-arrange their priorities. :D

With all due respect....that would be called a Joke sir. Knowing Shawn M and his mastery with words I was making reference to his of how he described himself.

Izzy

Izzy, I think Bill (WmInce) was making a joke (hence the emoji) that one should be more happy to see a 6'-1" blonde with all her sexy features than Kirk from Dynon. :D

The Dynon Skyview is of course sexy in its own right but I've seen Kirk in some of the training videos and I'll admit I'd rather see a 6'-1" blonde. But that's just me. If you'd rather see Kirk that's your business and I won't hold that against anyone. It's not for me to judge you. :P

9 minutes ago, ShawnM said:

Izzy, I think Bill (WmInce) was making a joke (hence the emoji) that one should be more happy to see a 6'-1" blonde with all her sexy features than Kirk from Dynon. :D

The Dynon Skyview is of course sexy in its own right but I've seen Kirk in some of the training videos and I'll admit I'd rather see a 6'-1" blonde. But that's just me. If you'd rather see Kirk that's your business and I won't hold that against anyone. It's not for me to judge you. :P

My apologies to Bill then as I read his statement differently. No harm no foul. Thank you for the clarification Shawn. I too would prefer to see you in DRAG as a 6'1" blonde instead of Kirk any Day.

Izzy

53 minutes ago, ShawnM said:

I have seen all of Kirks videos.  He goes a little to slow for me so it gets boring, but its good content.  I would still love to see some videos of some of the advanced features which they never show and quite frankly do a piss poor job explaining in the user guide.  Such as how to use the Vnav for doing VFR approaches to a runway fully coupled on autopilot.  I had to figure it out by trial and error and it works shockingly well.  I'm sure its not dynons intent to assure and teach dummys that flying approaches in imc using non certified gps is a good thing.  But I for one disagree as I would like to know how every feature works to its full extent. Who knows, I could be one of those dummys that finds himself in such a pickle and now you better know how to do it.

15 minutes ago, ronin5573 said:

I would still love to see some videos of some of the advanced features which they never show and quite frankly do a piss poor job explaining in the user guide.  Such as how to use the Vnav for doing VFR approaches to a runway fully coupled on autopilot. 

I agree Ronin5573, I had to figure out the VNAV feature on my legacy Dynon when I got my plane. The manual is horrible when it comes to VNAV (and a few other features). I do love the VNAV feature because I don't have to do math while trying to fly the plane. :D

My instructor is "old school" and his plane had those round thingies in the panel, I'm not sure what they are or how to use them. 

12 hours ago, Izzy said:

Hits home doesn't it! Well I feel the same way as you feel but in my case it's the SportCruiser and the Bristell. By the way, there is animosity between the brands and that's a good thing and it pushes ALL to be better. But, one thing you will never get from me is trying to sell my brand by bad mouthing or pointing out the negatives in another brand....as I've been told many a times over is done over at Bristell.

Again my point is specific to the NAME of our forum, it's is not an LSA owner Forum, Rotax Owner Forum. Taking a step further in the automotive world....in order to be a member of the PCA one has to own a Porsche and the same applies to the BMW brand. 

There are plenty on the forum that approve of the decision and I may be the only to not like the decision and that's quite okay. 

Selling is all about setting you brand apart.  Maybe even badmouthing the other brand.  As a great example this aircraft has been used to compare the sportcruiser to the bristell for years by John Rathmell.

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=CZECH+SPORT+AIRCRAFT&model=SPORTCRUISER&listing_id=2288935&s-type=aircraft

If you go there stuck between what plane to buy between the 2, he takes you on a test flight in that sportcruiser.  Then he takes you for a ride in a New bristell.  Guess which one people buy.  Now its not really fair to compare a 12 year old sportcruiser to a new Bristell but that's not the point is it?

3 minutes ago, ShawnM said:

I agree Ronin5573, I had to figure out the VNAV feature on my legacy Dynon when I got my plane. The manual is horrible when it comes to VNAV (and a few other features). I do love the VNAV feature because I don't have to do math while trying to fly the plane. :D

Long but this will show what I'm talking about

24 minutes ago, ronin5573 said:

Selling is all about setting you brand apart.  Maybe even badmouthing the other brand.  As a great example this aircraft has been used to compare the sportcruiser to the bristell for years by John Rathmell.

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=CZECH+SPORT+AIRCRAFT&model=SPORTCRUISER&listing_id=2288935&s-type=aircraft

If you go there stuck between what plane to buy between the 2, he takes you on a test flight in that sportcruiser.  Then he takes you for a ride in a New bristell.  Guess which one people buy.  Now its not really fair to compare a 12 year old sportcruiser to a new Bristell but that's not the point is it?

While I agree wholeheartedly with the first part of your statement I could not disagree more with the second part. I've been in sales my entire life and am proud to share that I have always sold the product I've represented based on it's own strengths and features while very well aware of my competitors weaknesses but, I never and I say never put down a competitor in any way shape or form to obtain an edge or sale. The numbers don't lie and truly do not concern me but the principle of the sale does.

No worries as I accept the decisions made by the admin but, in no way have to agree with them. This is still the SCFLIER forum and as such should remain as true to the SC as the name dictates. I also belong to Sport Pilot Forum, where everyone is there flies all type of equipment, and the Rotax forum as I know them to be the source for Rotax information. 

Izzy

3 hours ago, ShawnM said:

Correct.

My feeble attempt at a little humor failed miserably.

i just hate that about me. :D

15 minutes ago, WmInce said:

Correct.

If you keep trying maybe you can get better at it, I try everyday. :P

And don't worry Bill we still love you and welcome you as one of those "outsiders". :D

First off, I'm sorry for the delayed reply. I meant to log on and check this last evening but was distracted elsewhere.

I’ve come to appreciate this forum as a great source of information for all things SportCruiser related. I can only assume, based on the name of the forum and its history, that is has done what it was designed to do, connect people with a shared interest in a single topic. So, when I saw something added that I feel could have a very negative effect, I decided to speak up. 

The integrity of a brand is something that must be managed always. The muddying of the waters doesn’t protect the brand or the integrity of the forum, in this situation. Where will the line be drawn? After many owners of all different types of LSA’s share every little bit of info they choose?  

I want to help protect the integrity of this forum, and to protect its role as one of the leaders for sharing information on the SportCruiser, good and bad. It all should be shared in a constructive and beneficial manner. I’d hate to see one decision turn into the proverbial slippery slope that ends up degrading the entire platform. If I am alone in this feeling that is fine, I will simply be content knowing I was able to give my two cents and try to protect the forum’s brand and integrity. I hope it continues to support and benefit its users as it was designed.

1 hour ago, WmInce said:

Correct.

Don't worry Bill! I can't even a sarcastic laugh after a simple knock knock joke....at least you continue trying, kudos for that, I gave up years ago and just switched over to mean sarcasm which suits me well!

Thanks once again Dave,

i consider myself privileged to be a part of this forum, and will do my best to provide useful information. I am relatively new owning a LSA and really appreciate learning as much as possible. I will always be respectful of the members, again I love the Sport Cruiser and consider my plane a very close cousin. I am certainly no sales person (I manage the State's Prisons), I am happy with my plane and will be glad to share anything you care to know about it. I am eager to learn anything from any of you that will improve my flying experience, make me a safer pilot and save the from mistakes based on your experiences. 

I have flow across the country twice now and hope run into some you in the future. My plane was at Sun & Fun last year with John Rathmell, I was able to score some awesome leather seats out of that deal. I am planning a trip to central Texas (Skylark Field, Killeen TX) in the early fall to see my son. 

Again if any of you fly out west my wife and I can be a great resource we have an apparent, lounge, courtesy vehicle and plenty of hangar space on a 5000' runway (no cost). There are some really beautiful place to see from the air and only a 20 minute flight to the Reno air races.

IMG_3075.JPG

IMG_4477.JPG

IMG_4703.JPG

IMG_4707.JPG

IMG_4714.JPG

I have a Twin brother in Northwest Florida, looking to get into LSA on a budget  ?... I saw a 2010 SC fully loaded Dynon glass panels and only 200 hrs. Hangared in Bisbee AZ. On barnstormer.com listed for $85k 

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

IMG_1689.JPG

IMG_1690.JPG

Hwick2000, those are some awesome pictures of Lake Tahoe!  How does your Bristell perform at those altitudes, and taking off from your airstrip?  I think your elevation is around 4,400 feet?  Any density altitude concerns?

In terms of the LSA for your twin brother, does he have any preferences or a particular mission?  He is in the hot bed of LSA activity by being in Florida, so I would imagine that he might be surrounded by more available LSA than is listed in Barnstormer. 

That Piper Sport looks nice.  Having the BRS repacked and the 5 year rubber replacement performed is certainly helpful and a cost savings.  Ther Piper Sport should have the return line to the tank, so that should take care of the mandatory Rotax service bulletin.  The only other thing to check for is the nose gear leg and the firewall bulk-up-kit (two separate threads on this forum), both of which are not required if there is no cracks in the nose gear leg and fork.

If your brother is interested, Roger Lee (on this forum and on the CT forum) is in Tucson and potentially an arrangement may be made to have him do an inspection of the aircraft and books.

Does your brother prefer a low wing vs. a high wing?  What would be his approximate budget?  I only ask as there’s other new LSA for about $15-25K more.  One that is debuting at Oshkosh is the Vashon Ranger 7 (which is produced by the owner of Dynon.). It’s a high wing and its useful load is limited, but it’s well equipped with Dynon glass panels.  There are well priced CTsw as well.  But probably very few with as few hours as the Sportcruiser you  found.  Maybe it might be worthwhile for your brother to make it to the upcoming Sun n Fun show in Lakeland, Florida from April 10-15, 2018 to see what LSA are available and hold any interest?