I don’t know if the aluminum caps offered at Aircraft Spruce (for Vans aircraft) will work, but they seem to offer the SPRL caps for the Vans aircraft as well.  Would use of a different fuel cap require a LOA? (Serious question as I don’t know, but I would hope not as I would consider this a “service part.’)

1 hour ago, tgs40ford said:

They continue to swell up and bind when the tanks are full and are very difficult to remove to check the fuel for preflight. If i do not fill the tanks full they seem to work okay.  Thanks for the info. I left you a message earlier. 

There is a fix for this. I think the other cap I saw only had an aluminum top and the base was still plastic. Won’t solve your problem.

I got your message and will call you tomorrow.

1 hour ago, rtk said:

I don’t know if the aluminum caps offered at Aircraft Spruce (for Vans aircraft) will work, but they seem to offer the SPRL caps for the Vans aircraft as well.  Would use of a different fuel cap require a LOA? (Serious question as I don’t know, but I would hope not as I would consider this a “service part.’)

Good question Bob, I would think yes but what do I know? I don’t think the cap is a serviceable part since it actually has a CSA part number and it’s different than the Newton part number.

I don’t know if the Aero series caps (aluminum) will fit into our neck on the tank. This is why I suggested he email Robin directly at Newton.

Hopefully Tate will report back his findings after contacting Robin.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the update Tate, can you share what the set of caps cost so we all know? I'll email Robin at Newton and check with him on a price also.

Mine still seal great and have never stuck but they look like 2007 fuel caps. :D Maybe a new pair is in order.

I know Aircraft Spruce sells the entire cap and mounting flange for $68.75 each. I cannot find the cap only on Aircraft Spruce. This is also the non locking version. The locking version is $75.75 each but again this is the cap AND flange. 

I got the SPRL fuel caps with lock (for peace of mind) for my CRUZ Aircraft.  But at the time, I ordered the less expensive locking fuel cap with the red “universal ring.”  Innhindsight, if anyone is ordering the fuel cap, you’ll want the threaded ring and locking cap that Shawn refers to (about $75 each) as our CRUZ aircraft come with those threaded rings that screw into our fuel tank.