Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

Hi!

I noticed battery on my newly acquired Cruiser has a crack.

Any suggestion on replacement please?

Best price.legalities.etc.

Thanks!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wayne said:

Hi!

I noticed battery on my newly acquired Cruiser has a crack.

Any suggestion on replacement please?

Best price.legalities.etc.

Thanks!!!!

Hi Wayne, what battery is in it now? Is it a FG FORTE or something else?

First, legally you need a LOA to change to a different battery. Will you ever get one? No, but at least you are informed of the legal aspect of changing the battery.

My next step would be to call Cruiser Aircraft and ask them what to do. Can they provide you the exact battery the factory uses? If not ask them if the new battery they'll sell you comes with an aircraft specific LOA. This will prove for an interesting conversation for sure. :D

The last importer in Texas, US Sport Aircraft, was even selling customers a different battery than the european FG FORTE and of course no LOA was provided.

The latest IPC lists the part number for a battery as 3800D078 but the "description" only reads BATTERY 12V, 20Ah. I'm not a betting man but I'm willing to wager that the factory battery does not have this part number on it.

This is just my opinion but many have just replaced their battery with one of the same specs, 12v, 20Ah. They are available everywhere at your local battery stores and online. Many will also not tell you this but since a battery is considered a "consumable" they just change it with one of the same specs. 

I'm E-LSA so my last battery change was to a Odyssey PC680 and it was the best decision ever. Was it 2 times the cost of a normal AGM battery? Yes, but well worth it.

Here's a link to the same topic and question i started over 3 years ago. It's the same question you asked and you can read those responses also and make an informed decision for yourself.

Hope you found some of this helpful.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ShawnM said:

My next step would be to call Cruiser Aircraft and ask them what to do. Can they provide you the exact battery the factory uses? If not ask them if the new battery they'll sell you comes with an aircraft specific LOA. This will prove for an interesting conversation for sure. :D

Candace Drawbeck IS the right person to contact for this request. She may not know the answer but, will greatly enjoy harassing the factory until an answer is provided. 

18 minutes ago, ShawnM said:

First, legally you need a LOA to change to a different battery. Will you ever get one? No, but at least you are informed of the legal aspect of changing the battery.

I believe...I recall...I think....that I once MAY HAVE heard of a certain SportCruiser owner that replaced the spec battery with a smaller (lighter) battery. Said battery was not only lighter and less expensive but, was also readily available in most if not all aviation. 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, wayne said:

Thanks fellows!!

Mine is an Alliant Type X4-

3220000004A is model number

Appreciate the input..

That's a lithium ion battery and if it's cracked I'd remove it from the plane immediately. If oxygen penetrates the casing it will burn very intensely and could destroy the plane or worse. I personally would never use a lithium ion battery in an aircraft but that's my personal opinion. 

I dont think the factory ever installed lithium batteries as I've never seen them in the IPC. 

Is there a log entry for that battery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:30 AM, ShawnM said:

That's a lithium ion battery and if it's cracked I'd remove it from the plane immediately. If oxygen penetrates the casing it will burn very intensely and could destroy the plane or worse. I personally would never use a lithium ion battery in an aircraft but that's my personal opinion. 

I dont think the factory ever installed lithium batteries as I've never seen them in the IPC. 

Is there a log entry for that battery?

I just replaced mine with the The "Expert Power" branded EXP 12200 off amazon for 40 bucks.  I think its the exact same one without the FGFORTE brand.  When I mean its exactly the same I mean in every way. I still think its funny to think you need a loa for a battery.  Imagine all the planes out there without batteries in them waiting for battery loa's.  Most of the US fleet would be just sitting there. Good luck with that.  Don't tell no one but I flushed that green crappy coolant they use and put dexcool 5050 in too  last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ronin5573 said:

Don't tell no one but I flushed that green crappy coolant they use and put dexcool 5050 in too  last year.

sshhhhhhh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ronin5573 said:

I just replaced mine with the The "Expert Power" branded EXP 12200 off amazon for 40 bucks.  I think its the exact same one without the FGFORTE brand.  When I mean its exactly the same I mean in every way. I still think its funny to think you need a loa for a battery.  Imagine all the planes out there without batteries in them waiting for battery loa's.  Most of the US fleet would be just sitting there. Good luck with that.  Don't tell no one but I flushed that green crappy coolant they use and put dexcool 5050 in too  last year.

My first battery replacement was with a Duracell of the exact same shape and specs as your Expert Power but with a Duracell label on it. It lasted 2 years. I think they all are the exact same battery with different labels. Second battery was a UPG brand battery and it lasted about a year. I now have the Odyssey PC680 (amazing battery) and I'll report back when it dies which hopefully won't be for many years. :D

And yes, LEGALLY, you need a LOA to change to a different battery but who gets one? Nobody. It's ridiculous that you need one and I agree. It's a "consumable". 

As for your coolant, Rotax approves the DEXCool 50/50 as it's what I use also but dont worry your secret's safe here. (along with your quick drain :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 6:55 AM, ShawnM said:

My first battery replacement was with a Duracell of the exact same shape and specs as your Expert Power but with a Duracell label on it. It lasted 2 years. I think they all are the exact same battery with different labels. Second battery was a UPG brand battery and it lasted about a year. I now have the Odyssey PC680 (amazing battery) and I'll report back when it dies which hopefully won't be for many years. :D

And yes, LEGALLY, you need a LOA to change to a different battery but who gets one? Nobody. It's ridiculous that you need one and I agree. It's a "consumable". 

As for your coolant, Rotax approves the DEXCool 50/50 as it's what I use also but dont worry your secret's safe here. (along with your quick drain :D

 

In the great words of the infamous Lev .  "Components. American components, Russian Components, ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!"

 

LEV.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2018 at 10:07 AM, ronin5573 said:

In the great words of the infamous Lev .  "Components. American components, Russian Components, ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!"

So true. I buy tons of electronics components from overseas because none of them are made in America. 

Great movie quote, thanks ronin5573. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×