Battery

6 hours ago, rtk said:

With my old battery, if I turned on the EMS and avionics (EFIS, GPS, radio), the battery tender would go to yellow to begin topping off the battery.

That's what happens with a 3-4 year old battery. :D Especially the lesser expensive ones made with recycled lead. Do yourself a favor and put a piece of tape on the battery and write the month/year and hours on the plane when you installed it. I know you will have a log book entry for it but this is a "quick glance" method for the age of the battery 14 months from now when you can't remember. Or for some of us, 14 days from now. :o

It really looks like a great battery on paper but the proof is in, well, "Maria".

6 hours ago, rtk said:

The Full Throttle Battery does indeed use 99.994% pure virgin lead plates.

I figured as much given the cost. Also, using "pure lead" in the Full Throttle and Odyssey batteries makes a difference over the lesser expensive batteries that use a "lead alloy". 

On 7/2/2020 at 4:38 AM, ShawnM said:

It really looks like a great battery on paper but the proof is in, well, "Maria".

It was about 87 degrees at KFUL when I shot this video of a warm start on my plane (aka, "Maria")  🙂   I had performed the service bulletin (SB-SC-072) and, after a month of sitting, I took my time to warm her up before doing the mag check on the ignition switch (more of that in the appropriate thread.)

As mentioned before, the new battery allows me to play with the avionics for 10+ minutes and won't cause the battery tender to go into "charge" mode like my old battery did.

I noticed that the cold start of the 912 ULS seemed a little more energetic.  But for sure the hot start (restart) works better as the engine starts up more quickly than before.

Glad to hear Maria is feeling better now. Looking forward to hearing about this battery over time. That's how my Rotax starts also. Gotta love a good battery. :D

Does Full Throttle recommend keeping it on a trickle charger all the time?