New Members Recently Added to the SCFLIER Forum

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, welcome to the forum Todd. Glad you found the plane you wanted and I certainly feel your pain in a lengthy search. I spent over a year looking for the right plane. There's lots to take in here on the forum so enjoy the journey.

Do you have plans to install the GTX-335 soon?

• 2 months later...

Morning everyone. 

I’m a rusty old pilot with just over a hundred hours, mostly cross country in a Piper Arrow and my Cherokee 180, haven’t even sat in a plane in 12 years  and looking to get back into the air. Sitting in my chair for a few weeks now after lower back surgery and thinking about how short life is and making the decision to get back into the air. 

I don’t qualify for Basic Med and the Agent Orange I was exposed to is causing some health problems, even though I passed all the medical tests the FAA required I’ve decided not to deal with them so am looking into LSA aircraft of which I know nothing about. 

Been reading up on the subject and the Sport Cruiser, Tecnam 2008 and the CT are the ones I might be interested in although I’ve never been up in any LSA and have no idea what to expect. Another concern is getting into or more importantly getting out of the aircraft after sitting in it for a couple hours because of my back. Seems the high wing might be the deciding factor over wing walking. 

Anyway just starting my research on the LSA and looking forward to learning from this Forum and interacting with all of you. 

On 1/11/2019 at 6:02 PM, T DUB said:

I’ve been reading over the forum on ADS B and thought I’d take a minute to introduce myself.  My first flight ever was in my instructors Piper sport.  I was hooked.  Looked for two year and eventually found the perfect fit and bought the same type I took lessons in.  I look forward to hanging in the background and reading over your posts.  Thanks to those who have taken the time to put all this great info out there!

Todd

Wichita, KS

”Air capital of the world “

49F48C46-F9CD-4D95-BFDF-6C0161C575FC.png

On 3/31/2019 at 9:40 AM, Skipper said:

Morning everyone. 

I’m a rusty old pilot with just over a hundred hours, mostly cross country in a Piper Arrow and my Cherokee 180, haven’t even sat in a plane in 12 years  and looking to get back into the air. Sitting in my chair for a few weeks now after lower back surgery and thinking about how short life is and making the decision to get back into the air. 

I don’t qualify for Basic Med and the Agent Orange I was exposed to is causing some health problems, even though I passed all the medical tests the FAA required I’ve decided not to deal with them so am looking into LSA aircraft of which I know nothing about. 

Been reading up on the subject and the Sport Cruiser, Tecnam 2008 and the CT are the ones I might be interested in although I’ve never been up in any LSA and have no idea what to expect. Another concern is getting into or more importantly getting out of the aircraft after sitting in it for a couple hours because of my back. Seems the high wing might be the deciding factor over wing walking. 

Anyway just starting my research on the LSA and looking forward to learning from this Forum and interacting with all of you. 

Welcome Skipper and ditto to Deltafox's comment, thank you for your service.

There is a lot of info here about the SportCruiser. Deltafox is your guy for flight instruction here in our area. I'm sure he'd be glad to take you for a spin. I'm based at Zephyrhills about 16 miles NE of Tampa Exec. I only assume that we'll see you at Sun N Fun??? 

Well, I guess the only thing left to do is move Oshkosh down to Florida somewhere ...if that happens , I am out of here .. I guess the only thing keeping me here is that negative 2000 density altitude we get here at times - makes for some fine flying.

17 minutes ago, Warmi said:

Well, I guess the only thing left to do is move Oshkosh down to Florida somewhere ...if that happens , I am out of here .. I guess the only thing keeping me here is that negative 2000 density altitude we get here at times - makes for some fine flying.

LOL. You'll NEVER see any negative density altitudes here. If you need that then dont waste your time packing. :D 

FYI, the other thing you'll NEVER see here is that funny white stuff on the ground in our sunny, winter months. (if you really want to call it "winter") :o 

Morning guys, thanks for the welcome. Deltafox has been in touch with me and we will get together soon. 

I had hoped to be well enough for Sun N Fun again this year but doesn’t look like I’ll be able to make it. Have 4 weeks of 3 times per week of Physical Therapy scheduled to get through first. Uggggggg  

Hoping to be back in the air soon.  

Florida:

• Flat land = easy ceilings
  • Weather allows VFR flying almost every day
  • At least two runways at most airports
  • Lots of awesome destinations within 1 hour at 100kts
  • Knowing that you can almost always get to your destination and back the same day
  • LSA / Rotax service more readily available 

In short, perfect conditions for LSA flying.

Note: I’m originally from the Northeast where:

• Being able to fly three or four days a week was an exceptional treat
  • Something was almost guaranteed to be marginal every day (winds, ceiling or visibility)
  • A day trip was often 2 to 3 hours away with a high probability of getting stuck there overnight

* I do miss the terrain, mountains and valleys on those exceptionally beautiful days!

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

Morning guys, thanks for the welcome. Deltafox has been in touch with me and we will get together soon. 

I had hoped to be well enough for Sun N Fun again this year but doesn’t look like I’ll be able to make it. Have 4 weeks of 3 times per week of Physical Therapy scheduled to get through first. Uggggggg  

Hoping to be back in the air soon.  

Good luck with your PT Skipper, the flying will give you something to think about while you are recovering. Sorry you can't make it to SNF, there's always next year. When you recover and start flying you should plan on attending the Deland LSA show in November, it's the 14th thru the 16th. It's small and growing but worth the short flight over.

10 hours ago, rtk said:

Lots of aviation in Florida, no doubt.  But not all of us are on the East Coast! 

Believe me Bob, if my girlfriend could move tomorrow it would be to the "left coast" somewhere in California. She just loves it out there. I do also but I've grown up in Florida since I was a year old and dont know anything else.

31 minutes ago, designrs said:

Florida:

• Flat land = easy ceilings
  • Weather allows VFR flying almost every day
  • At least two runways at most airports
  • Lots of awesome destinations within 1 hour at 100kts
  • Knowing that you can almost always get to your destination and back the same day
  • LSA / Rotax service more readily available 

In short, perfect conditions for LSA flying.

Note: I’m originally from the Northeast where:

• Being able to fly three or four days a week was an exceptional treat
  • Something was almost guaranteed to be marginal every day (winds, ceiling or visibility)
  • A day trip was often 2 to 3 hours away with a high probability of getting stuck there overnight

* I do miss the terrain, mountains and valleys on those exceptionally beautiful days!

It is near perfect for flying Richard, except maybe in the summer unless you get out early. :o You going to make it to SNF?