• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Warmi said:

What is required in an annual should be listed in your AMM manual

Thanks I’ll review it again.  I guess we can’t rely on licensed mechanics to ensure required items are accomplished and have to review ourselves.  That’s highly unfortunate.  Trust but verify I guess.

8 hours ago, FlyAgain said:

Trust but verify

Always, never assume that your mechanic has the latest 100 hour/ annual condition inspection checklist. I always took the latest version with me so I knew it was current. Request a copy for your records and keep it until it's superseded with the next one.

As to your 2010 purchase and "weights". The crew, pilot and passenger, max weight is the same for all SportCruisers, 253 pounds. Of course if you load in two 253 pound guys one of you better know how to make airplane noises because you're not going flying. :D 

As for the different baggage configuration and weights, be sure you or the previous owner updated your POH per SA-SC-010 dated 12-20-2018. A lot changed with this Safety Alert and it not only narrows the aircraft CG range, it also eliminated baggage area B or the shelf baggage area. Technically a new W&B was to be done.

I assume that all SB's and SA's were checked and complied with, if applicable, when you purchased the plane. But you know what happens when you assume things, right? :o

Excellent advice shawnM. He is spot on with this.  Keep your records, review them. Some areas on the checklists are fill in the blanks, you need to know this information. They tell a story, especially to me. They help me pinpoint a pattern or trouble areas.  Plus you paid for this service. It holds the mechanic to his word if he initials each item.  I personally would get a binder and keep every one.   You can look back on them and create a chart.  

For example-   Two annuals ago you started loosing compression in cyl#2, well now say it is really low.  We can pretty much connect the dots here with the road map on the likely hood of what needs to be done.  

14 hours ago, FlyAgain said:

Thanks I’ll review it again.  I guess we can’t rely on licensed mechanics to ensure required items are accomplished and have to review ourselves.  That’s highly unfortunate.  Trust but verify I guess.

I couldn't - you may be more lucky but personally I no longer take any chances...

I had my plane serviced at a known Rotax mechanic in Chicago area and ended up with the following maintenance induced issues :

• A leaking carb fuel line after 5 year rubber replacement  ( either a bad clamp or re-used clamp , could't tell but it failed ) 

• Carb bowl debris after annual ( I presume it was due to hastily installing the carb bowl which caused the float to chip away ) which resulted in takeoff time engine trouble  - 

• A cracked oil tank that ultimately failed catastrophically as soon as I attempted to open the drain . This was due to my mechanic installing a quick drain valve with not enough clearance over the exhaust which , over time, due to engine start/stop vibrations caused the drain plug to fail ( banging on the exhaust system )
    cracked_oil_tank.thumb.jpg.067fafa272798b846372fbc9f230c560.jpg

Maybe I was just particularly unlucky but ... anyway, nobody will care as much about your plane as you do so trust but verify 🙂

Just now, ronin5573 said:

I don't see how you could rip a float while installing the bowls

I was told during rotax training to be careful and make sure not to try to force the bowl up because , it is is misaligned , you can do some damage to the floats - not saying that is what happened , since I cannot tell for sure, but the float was clearly chipped at the corner exactly where it would line up with the metal edge if misaligned.

It maybe be that ,after 6 years , they started flaking but it was only that edge and nothing else - I replaced them anyway.

Here's the start of a carb float discussion we had several months ago in another thread. There was a service bulletin that went out several years ago where some serial#'d floats were not manufactured to spec and were prone to flaking. 

1 hour ago, Warmi said:

I was told during rotax training to be careful and make sure not to try to force the bowl up because , it is is misaligned , you can do some damage to the floats - not saying that is what happened , since I cannot tell for sure, but the float was clearly chipped at the corner exactly where it would line up with the metal edge if misaligned.

It maybe be that ,after 6 years , they started flaking but it was only that edge and nothing else - I replaced them anyway.

I suppose so.  This is something I check every 6 months after being a lucky  enough to be on my 3rd set of sinkers. :(  When I install mine there is no gas in the bowls and the floats are on the bottom so I just cant see how putting the bowls on a float could get stuck but then again a broken clock is correct twice a day as well. 

4 hours ago, Warmi said:

I had my plane serviced at a known Rotax mechanic in Chicago area and ended up with the following maintenance induced issues :

Just one more reason I'm glad I took the LSRI class and I can finally do my own annual condition inspection and and sign my own log books. I personally will know that EVERYTHING on the checklists will be completed and no corners or shortcuts will ever be taken. Nothing will get overlooked as it's my butt in the hot seat the next time the plane takes off. I'm not saying I dont make mistakes, because we all do, we're human, but I myself will be hyper aware of everything on the checklists. No more wondering if anything was overlooked or pencil whipped as Roger calls it.

59 minutes ago, ronin5573 said:

This is something I check every 6 months after being a lucky  enough to be on my 3rd set of sinkers. :(

I check my carb floats quarterly and it's probably overkill but I'm also on my third set of sinkers and peelers:o

9 hours ago, ronin5573 said:

Is that on just your plane?  Or any?

The Light-Sport Repairman Inspection Certificate allows you to perform the condition inspection on any Light-Sport aircraft that you own.  Each aircraft must be listed on the certificate.

I am still considering this used Sports Cruiser.

display-asset-2.jpeg.433af789155779aee06b9d74da769841.jpeg

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=CZECH+SPORT+AIRCRAFT&model=SPORTCRUISER&listing_id=2340411&s-type=aircraft

This plane has 40TT. It seems very low for a 2015. Asking price is $135,000.00. The dealer is currently changing out the 5 year hoses as well as installing ADS-B. Anyone have any info on this plane? The dealer mentioned that the original buyer flew it 40hrs mostly during training and then suddenly passed away. The widow has just made the decision to sell it. Plane looks to be fully decked out on avionics as well as having a BSR chute. Please share any comments. Thanks.

COFFEEJOE

From 2015 till today.  What was the longest period the motor was not cranked?  With only 40 some hours there are some gaps. My opinion = get a pre buy inspection done by a neutral party.   Lsrm, A&P, an owner operator who is familiar with rotax and czeck sport airframes.  Check the logbooks, factory paperwork, maintenance records.  Make sure its up to date with the ICA.  What SB’s and SA’s have been complied with.  And when and by who.  Again just my thoughts.  And also AD’s.  I found two already 

3 hours ago, Mel said:

The Light-Sport Repairman Inspection Certificate allows you to perform the condition inspection on any Light-Sport aircraft that you own.  Each aircraft must be listed on the certificate.

Thanks why I ask.  His plane is owned by a LLC and I herd the FAA has stated that 100 % ownership of the LLC is still NOT a plane you own so he couldn’t do his own annuals .  In other words the plane must be in the name of the individual .  Just wanted some clarity on the rules. I was also thinking about getting a lsrm.  

2 hours ago, Coffee said:

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=CZECH+SPORT+AIRCRAFT&model=SPORTCRUISER&listing_id=2340411&s-type=aircraft

This plane has 40TT. It seems very low for a 2015. Asking price is $135,000.00. The dealer is currently changing out the 5 year hoses as well as installing ADS-B. Anyone have any info on this plane? The dealer mentioned that the original buyer flew it 40hrs mostly during training and then suddenly passed away. The widow has just made the decision to sell it. Plane looks to be fully decked out on avionics as well as having a BSR chute. Please share any comments. Thanks.

COFFEEJOE

That's a nice plane.  So what if it needs some engine work or some SBs brought up to date?  Determine what's needed and negotiate those costs against the sellers asking price. Sounds like they're already doing some things that are needed. 

18 hours ago, ronin5573 said:

Thanks why I ask.  His plane is owned by a LLC and I herd the FAA has stated that 100 % ownership of the LLC is still NOT a plane you own so he couldn’t do his own annuals .  In other words the plane must be in the name of the individual .  Just wanted some clarity on the rules. I was also thinking about getting a lsrm.  

Edited for simplicity........

Let's just say that I provided all necessary documentation that the FAA required from the LLC. There were no questions or hesitations from my local FSDO or the FAA and the very same FAA has issued me the light sport repairman inspection rating to perform the annual condition inspection on N810SM.

And for the record, I only have my LRSI, not a LSRM. Maybe one day I'll take the long course.

And I won't be doing an "annual", I'll be performing a "condition inspection". This is what I learned in my LSRI class. :D

4 hours ago, Coffee said:

COFFEEJOE

Make sure to check the landing gear, make sure the mains are not cracked and that you have the latest version nose landing gear.  With such low hours, it may have original landing gear all around and they often need to be replaced as soon as you start to actually use the airplane.  We have run across this exact situation on other very low hour "hangar queens" that we have checked out.  That is a $7k+ tab to correct just the gear.

CoffeeJoe, that’s a very handsome aircraft and was sold (I believe) while Patrick Arnzen and US Sport Aircraft was the sole distributor for the US.  Patrick knows the Sportcruiser inside and out, so I’m confident that it was a solidly assembled aircraft on initial delivery.  But in those 40 hours (especially with training) the advice by Velocity26 and others is great advice to take.

I see this plane is in Maryland.  I’d suggest trying to find out how flexible they are in pricing since they’re approaching a negotiated price on a new plane from Cruiser Aircraft.  (I think the new “trainer” starts around $140K, and the asking price from CAI is around $160-170K.  You may be able to see how flexible the owner’s widow might be on the plane and that might help with the decision on whether to go forward with a pre-buy.  I can’t speak for Necco, but since it’s on the eastern seaboard, and Necco IS intimately familiar with Sportcruisers... just saying...

I will add that those vent windows in the canopy will help significantly for airflow.  I know some have said that it gets in the way of a clear view out the side (especially if you like photography) but it beats sticking your elbow out to hold up the canopy during taxi. I don’t think it would be easy to add those afterwards (and the likelihood of cracking a $8,000 canopy is extremely high if you tried to add one afterwards.)

And don’t forget that if you fly within a Mode C veil regularly, add in the cost of adding a Garmin GTX-335 and an avionics shop to install it, as you’ll need it before January 1, 2020.

It is a very nice aircraft but for a 2015 I feel it's overpriced regardless of the hours. Low hours is not a good thing for an aircraft, ask any mechanic. As RTK pointed out you can get a brand new 2019 "trainer" for $140K less one Skyview HDX.(about $4400) 

There is currently a 2019 listed in Sebastian for $145K and it only needs a second HDX for $4k. I'm certain this 2019 could be bought for somewhere in the $130's. How can someone be asking $135 for a plane that is 4 years older with a lesser avionics package? Sure, it's in near new condition with only 45 hours (currently) but in my opinion it's a $120K airplane tops.  

Also, keep in mind the 2 Skyview Touch displays in this aircraft have been discontinued by Dynon already. Sure, they'll still service them for a very long time but they are discontinued already. This is not a reason not to buy it but the price would have to be much better in my opinion for me, but I'm "thrifty". :D

I saw it listed on another site and it's now ADS-B compliant with the Dynon transponder.

Just my 2¢ 

I would not go for a new one or anything above 110 -  used , a few years old with around 200 hours for about 100-110 k would be what I would consider a sweet spot.

I keep hearing that LSA sales are going to hell ( supposedly it is combination of new Basic Med rules and FAA LSA limits change proposals ) so there is no point buying anything new, unless money is no factor , of course 🙂

2 hours ago, rtk said:

CoffeeJoe, that’s a very handsome aircraft and was sold (I believe) while Patrick Arnzen and US Sport Aircraft was the sole distributor for the US.  Patrick knows the Sportcruiser inside and out, so I’m confident that it was a solidly assembled aircraft on initial delivery.  But in those 40 hours (especially with training) the advice by Velocity26 and others is great advice to take.

This info is correct.  I certificated the aircraft for USSA on 09 July 2015.

Thanks as always for the great information. Josh is sittin at $156,000.00 for a brand new 2018 aircraft with a warranty(frame and engine) and slightly better equipped than the used 2015. I understand the pitfalls of buying used in terns of additional costs in the not to distant future. If the seller is unwilling to deviate from the asking price and you have a $7-10,000.00 occurrence, you are within spitting distance of a new 2018. Wami: Not sure what to do about Basic Med and the FAA LSA limits. How do you think this will affect the current fleet? Do you see the value of the current LSA plane values diminishing? Will the Basic Med allow pilots to move up bigger planes not currently in the LSA area? When do we expect that the FAA will announce these new policies? Are new LSA purchases like buying a luxury car ie. the value decreases the first year in by 20% with the second year dropping another 10% and then after that the depreciation slows down? I definitely need to get to Oshkosh this year. I hope to see the Viper that one member mentioned as a possibility. Has anyone seen a Viper in person? How does it fit/finish compare to the Sports Cruiser and Bristell? Also is anyone from the forum going to Oshkosh?

It all depends on what the actual changes turn out to be.  Rumors are that there will be a max gross weight increase, maybe a speed increase, etc.  If the increases are significant, that would make what is existing airplanes less desirable than what would be produced after the change.  Some companies may issue LOA's to allow their airplanes to take advantage of whatever they are capable of, but I am not sure if there is any hope that CS will do anything to help if the existing LOA situation is any example.