Hello from Eastern NC

I talked to Joe at Lockwood this morning. He said 1 module tested good and the other bad. The bad one wouldn’t fire until about 1500 rpm. He agreed with you that it would keep it from starting. I ordered next day shipping so hopefully I’ll have it running for my time off at Thanksgiving!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

Not yet. My hangar is about 45 minutes from me. I didn’t make it this weekend. I’m planning to go later this week. I’m off after Wednesday. I’ll let you know what I find out. Thanks 

No worries at all, just curious as to what you find. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Hey Shawn. Happy Thanksgiving. Mine just became a great one! I’m at the hangar. Just installed the new ignition module. That fixed it. This thing has never cranked like that since I’ve had it. It didn’t even get a full rotation on the prop and busted off on a cold start. Running great and cranking great. I’m gonna try to figure out what these 2 breakers control. One seems to be one of the G5s. Not sure about the other yet. I really appreciate all your help. Have a nice Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

A healthy spark can make all the difference in the world when starting. You probably had one going bad for a while and didn't know it. You just wondered, why it this thing so hard to start? As you now know, it's not. I've always had mine start within the first rotation after I installed the new modules years ago.

A good battery is also key to a good start. I highly recommend the Odyssey PC680 when it's time for a replacement. A more expensive battery but it'll out last and out crank any battery on the market. 

Hopefully you'll get the breakers sorted out and labeled in case you ever need to use them.

I think your right. It was getting harder to start for a while before it quit.  I read one of your other posts where you recommended the Odyssey so I went ahead and bought one. Looks like it’s about 3 lbs heavier than my cheap battery. I need to install it.

The old Trail-tek landing light I have crapped out too. They don’t make it anymore. Do you recommend any particular replacement?

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

I think your right. It was getting harder to start for a while before it quit.  I read one of your other posts where you recommended the Odyssey so I went ahead and bought one. Looks like it’s about 3 lbs heavier than my cheap battery. I need to install it.

The old Trail-tek landing light I have crapped out too. They don’t make it anymore. Do you recommend any particular replacement?

The PC-680 is awesome and given that the SportCruiser has a slight aft CG the 3 extra pounds you’ll gain are beneficial. You’ll just have to cut back a few less pizza slices a month so you’ll make up the difference for than 1/2 gallon of fuel you’ll have to leave behind. :D

Im fortunate enough to have my landing/taxi light in the pilot wing so I don’t have the light in my cowling like the newer planes. My plane has a standard PAR36 LED lamp. There are many options for replacement and far more for you being experimental. Search the forum for “taxi light” or “landing light”. Just be sure to go with LED. The mounting location of your light is in my opinion the worst place for it. It’s crazy hot in that location and the vibration from the engine is sure to shorten the life span of anything you mount there.

Thank you Richard. It’s looking like those lights are discontinued also. Where did that mount come from?

I agree Shawn. That’s not a good location. Mine already burned out once before, since I’ve had it. My light has 3 LED bulbs in it. It quit working so I popped the bad bulb off and put a solder shunt on it and got it working on 2 of them but it’s gone out again.

Where do you get those temp strips you have on your modules. I haven’t found any horizontal in that temp range

12 hours ago, Kevin said:

Where do you get those temp strips you have on your modules. I haven’t found any horizontal in that temp range

You can order them here Kevin. Mine are temp range 3 and I have one on each ignition pack and one on my Silent-Hektik voltage regulator. All 3 components can be damaged by heat. 

https://www.thermometersite.com/thermax-6-level-mini-strips-irreversible-labels

There have been many owners with damaged taxi/landing lights because of the poor choice of location by the factory. It's really couldn't be in a more harsh environment.

13 hours ago, Kevin said:

Thank you Richard. It’s looking like those lights are discontinued also. Where did that mount come from?

HI Kevin, I never ended up using the Kuntzelman light I have (I went with the Trail Tech LED light.)  If you're interested in the Kuntzelman LED, mine is still for sale.

9 hours ago, Kevin said:

I’m interested. Does it need a mounting bracket or is it more like the trail tek?

It will need a mounting bracket, and it's not like the Trail Tech - it's more like Richard's light.  I think a call to Thrust Flight might be good to figure out cost and timing for a bracket (the light from Kuntzelman didn't come with the Czech Sport Aircraft bracket)

I've attached some photos I took before - the light is still in its original box (never mounted.)

IMG_3565.jpeg.1395998b302c8589b896b6b38d2005b4.jpegIMG_3956.thumb.jpeg.5bea2ff3aefb3cfea683a03c8f67ba9a.jpegIMG_3957.thumb.jpeg.889211cc45526055a6f16385dd54f616.jpegIMG_3959.thumb.jpeg.c705430e9c9e494f44962a4318359abc.jpeg

Hi Kevin,

I just sent you a private message.  In the interim, it may be good to take a look at Richard's photos to see how he modified the factory bracket to have it fit.  My lower cowling opening is also unusual as, much like Shawn's plane, mine did not come from the factory with the lower cowling taxi light, but it was added (riveted on as seen in the photo with my hand holding the light) sometime in 2008 when the plane was being shown at shows around FL.  I think the lower cowlings later in 2008 and onward may have more clearance for this light.

• 2 weeks later...

Shawn if you’re still keeping up here I got a question. I put that new module in and it cranked right up. I ran it on the ground for about 10-15 minutes, shut down and parked. I came back last weekend and same thing! Won’t crank! I’m wondering if the other went bad, it was just tested at Lockwood, if the new one went bad, or something else. I got those temp strips but didn’t have them when I ran it that day. I noticed the coolant cap is only about an inch from where those modules mount. It definitely gets hot. I ordered 2 new modules from Ignitech in Czech Republic. They have long leads so you can mount on the firewall away from heat and vibration. Im planning to try that but wondered if there could be a ground or something loose somewhere causing it to fry them. Do you have any thought on it?

Thanks 

Thanks Brudy. Don’t know if you are familiar with where I am in it right now. Quick catch up, I had a no start issue. Sent both modules to Lockwood for test. 1 checked good, 1 bad. I bought 1 replacement for the bad one. Put them back in and it started right up. I ran it for about 15 minutes on the ground and cut it off. It set a week and when I got back it’s the same no start issue. I have 2 new Ignitech modules I can install and try. I was wondering if it’s a possibility that there could be a loose ground or something to check for before I put in another module and fry it?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi Kevin, I assumed you bought two new modules not just one. I know they are not cheap but I would have bit the bullet and replaced both with new. Buy once, cry once. :(

I do know the Czech modules allow for remote mounting but where they are isn't the issue. There are tens of thousands of 912's flying around with the ignition modules in the same location. Heat buildup under the cowling is an aircraft specific issue as some engines are cowled much tighter than others. My temps strips have not even darkened the first dot and I'm in sunny Florida.

It's certainly possible they they were both either bad on on their way out. They are old and you don't know the history on them. It may have checked out when Lockwood tested it as time and temperature made it work for some reason when they arrived here in Florida. Is the new module on the top or bottom of the stack? If on top try the heat and/or ice bag trick again on it and see if it starts. Remember it can take 10-15 minutes for the temps to reach the core of the module as they are potted solid inside.

As for grounds, all wiring is in the Molex connector and I don't know if the SB shows which one is ground. I've never heard of a ground issue with them. They either work or they don't, I'm sorry and wish I had a better answer for you.

If this were my plane I'd try the hot/cold trick again and see if it starts. If it does you have your answer.