What IMPROVEMENTS would you like to see in the CRUZ aircraft ?

To remedy number 4 just swap out the slotted dzus heads with the winged version. No screwdriver needed.

When they are locked the wing on the dzus is inline with the wind and they will now double as vortex generators.  :D

To remedy number 3, the newer planes have a warning light when the canopy is unlatched. I bought the brackets from CSA to add this to my plane. There is a blinking LED to let you know it's not latched. Really hard to miss.  

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One new improvement I'd like to see to the canopy latching system is a safety handle at the top rear of the canopy between the pilot and co-pilot.  This handle would turn 90 degrees when closed to lock against the fuselage.  Very similar to what the RV's are installing in their aircraft.  This would act as a second locking devise.  Just my thoughts before the 27th deadline.

Thanks,

Although the desired FUNCTION is a more secure, easy to use Canopy Lock That prevents inadvertent opening in flight

And we are not "designing" the new canopy lock/restraint, this idea seems to be different from others suggested, as I believe the proposal is to ADD an additional locking device up by the "roll bar" of the fuselage that can be turned 90 degrees to secure the canopy when it is down and latched.

I.e. This idea has a NEW FUNCTION - a separate locking mechanism up by the roll bar. Some RV designs extend this locking mechanism idea on the OUTSIDE of the aircraft with a connected lever that swings along with (connected to) the one inside the aircraft so emergency personnel can turn it on the ground, although the last step before a crash landing is OPEN THE CANOPY....

Just to make sure I am summarizing this "additional canopy latch idea" correctly, I have attached a picture from a Google search of "RV AIRCRAFT CANOPY LATCHES". There are several options, including one available from Aircraft Sprice that has a key lock device for "theft security" while on the ground parked. I don't think we need an"theft security" locking device, as the existing canopy handle over by the wing step area already has a key lock.

Crusader16--Please comment if this 90 degree swinging handle lock up by the roll bar is what you are suggesting. See picture. Thanks.

Awesome. I have a friend with an RV-6a, and his canopy locks with a simple rotating handle like that pic.

Very simple, elegant, functional design.

I believe a second locking canopy handle like this could be ADDED to existing aircraft, or perhaps be the ONLY canopy latch in future production aircraft.

It would be up to CAW to work details, but this might solve the concerns and "what would you like" ideas

re the CRUZ canopy potentially opening in flight.

We have occasionally given Airplane rides to Mobility challenged folks.

we have found that the SPORTY's AVIATION STEP STOOL (see pic) is the PERFECT HEIGHT to provide

a step up whilst holding on to the aircraft rollbar and then the top step of the stool provides that extra height to provide an EASY step onto the Wing Walk area,   avoiding the flap entirely.

The Sporty's Two Step Stool really works well,  

and fits right up against the existing CRUZ "stirrup" step thingie,  and allows folks with perhaps some mobility issues to EASILY climb up into our cockpit without stepping on the flap.

Also,  the Sportys Step Stool is very light,  and can be easily carried in the baggage compartment behind the seats - in flight.

And,  you can even tie a rope onto it,  and after say a disabled person gets up into the aircraft,  one can use the rope to carefully

hoist the step stool up into easy reach for placement into the rear baggage area.

Might be worth a look.

D

Sportys_Aviation_Ladder_Step_Stool.jpg

I have compiled our LIST of DESIRED CRUZ Improvements,  as of 6/27/2016.

See attached pics,  and in the next post I will attach the "Voting Form" electronic file if you prefer looking at that.

The "voting process" that I propose to provide an overall SCFLIER  Ranked List with "Most Wanted" Improvement at the top of the list is as follows:

1) Each voter sends me an email at SCFLIERADM@yahoo.com

this email should contain YOUR "Top Five" Improvement ideas,   with Number 1 being the Most Wanted by you,  then 2, 3, 4, 5.

Number 5 is the lowest wanted item on Your list of Top 5 Cool Improvement Ideas for the CRUZ.

You can provide your Top Five Item list by putting a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 in the "Voting Form" File right column and emailing that file to me,  or just send me a typed email with Five Items in Your Top 5 Order.

(I believe it would be too painful for each person to provide a ranked list of all 22 proposed items.)

2) I will allow two weeks for voting.

3) I will compile the email "Votes",  and generate a ranked list,  using the following scoring system:

the "Number 1 Most Wanted Item" on your list gets a score of 5 points for that Item.

the "Number 2  Wanted Item" on your list gets a score of 4 points.

the "Number 3  Wanted Item" gets a score of 3 points.

the "Number 4  Wanted Item" gets a score of 2 points.

the "Number 5 Least Wanted Item" on your list gets a score of 1 point.

4)  I will then generate the total Ranked list,   with the item getting the most total score from everyones voting,  

being our combined Number 1 MOST Wanted Improvement Item by the SCFLIER Forum,  

and so on down to the bottom (least voted on - least points) item on the list.  

My assumption is that every item will get at least ONE vote,  because someone suggested it.

5) I will present the Voting Results in about three weeks.

at this point,  we can have friendly discussions,  Constructive Criticism,  etc., etc.

6) After the rumbling reduces to a dull roar,  I will present our list to Patrick Arnzen at US Sport Aircraft,  and he can pass it on to the Manufacturer at CAW for consideration.

7) I believe the "secret ballot" system of Voters sending me an email with their individual "Top 5 Items List" is best.

We tend to provide "Type A Pilot Personality"  Comments on EVERYTHING on this Forum,  and a Secret Ballot may allow more folks to be comfortable "Voting".

Onward and Upward

D

CRUZ_Improvements_Page1of2.JPG

CRUZ_Improvements_Page2of2.JPG

Voting File of our "CRUZ Improvements" - I'll put this on the DOWNLOAD tab -- Other Downloads -- of the SCFLIER Forum. Can't upload it here since it is not a picture.

please use the right most column of the "Voting File" if you want to enter your votes on this file for emailing a copy to me at SCFLIERADM@yahoo.com

Or simply reference the Item Number in the left column, in a Ranked List typed email to me.

For example, your Top 5 Items may be

7,1,5,15,18:

Item 7 Better Armrests (most wanted item by you)

Item 1 AOA displayed on Dynons (second most wanted by you)

Item 5 Better inside ventilation (third most wanted by you)

Item 15 Improved Cruise Speed and Climb Performance (fourth most wanted by you)

and

Item 18 Reliability Improvement to the Rotax Ducati Voltage Rectifier / Regulator (still wanted by you, but fifth on YOUR priority list of Top 5 Ideas).

Please only vote for your Top 5 Most Wanted Improvement Items.

My Brain can't handle the math required to compile a bunch of 22 item ranked lists........

Tilting at Windmills.....

I considered using a poll but decided against it because it tends to "feed on itself" with the real time feedback.

Most folks want to "pick a winner" and "be on the winning team"....

My concern with a real time poll is that it may skew the results to initial input items from a few early poll entries, and folks won't vote on other items if "their favorite items" aren't "winning" in the poll. If you look at the existing polls already out there, There are a VERY LOW number of people who participate.

I chose the "secret ballot" email ( to SCFLIERADM@yahoo.com) approach in an attempt to get more input and folk's unbiased opinions on "What Improvements do they want".

The workload of managing and calculating the "scores" is no problem for me.

In my opinion, We can all consider whether the "voice of the CRUZ customer" will have ANY impact on the airplane manufacturer's plans for improvements. I believe over 200 CRUZ aircraft OWNERS/PILOTS in the USA and another 300 plus in Europe and WORLDWIDE could be a strong voice to consider re "What Improvements would you Like", especially if one is considering buying a competitor LSA, be it a Bristell, CT, ....., or even Upgrading from say a 2010 Piper Sport to a new 2016 Sport Cruiser with SkyView.

CAW makes money selling new airplanes.

Of course there is money to be made upgrading and supporting existing used airplanes, but that is a different bucket of money. And The problem with an LSA is the manufacturer has a stranglehold on most modifications because a Letter of Authorization (LOA) is required for almost all significant changes.

So it is possible probable ?? that pressure from existing customers might produce over time more LOAs. But I understand the risk / reward calculation of CAW if any significant flight test is required to feed an LOA. A balancing act. If the airplanes are selling well, why change?

The forum readership and participation is generally fairly slow and only a few folks participate regularly.

Just as a data point, At this time, I have ZERO "votes" entered.

Let's give it a week or so and see if any votes are sent to me. My objective is simply to find out what existing Owners /Pilotsof of the CRUZ think needs improving. I have nothing to gain from whatever answers come out of the "votes"

Anyone else out there in SCFLIER land have any thoughts?

A very small overhead red light for seeing inside cockpit at night. I have a glass cockpit, and my Instrument Light switch does not do anything (as far as I can tell). A red light that you could turn on where the headset hanger is over the right shoulder of the pilot could be useful. I use a red headlamp to see switches/fuses/where my bag is/everything inside the cockpit.

I've seen these in BMW's and other cars. I have a Jetta and next to where the rearview mirror/sunroof/roof lights there is a 1-2 mm red light that gives the slightest glow inside the car. Something similar to that.

We have these available and they air incorporated in the new Illustrated Parts Catalog and legal for installation on older models. Please give US Sport Aircraft a call if you would like to order one.

The "VOTES" are coming in to me by email at

Scflieradm@yahoo.com

It's easy

Two ways to vote:

1) send me an email with five item numbers from the downloaded voting form listed

in your TOP 5 priority order

Example. 15, 1, 6, 9, 13

Or

2) download the improvements voting form at "downloads, other downloads", and put your TOP 5 priority order over in the right column, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Next to the items you like best with "Most wanted" as number 1.

Then send the updated form back to me via email.

Voting will continue until July 18, and I'll publish the results about a week later.

THANK YOU for providing the VOICE OF THE CRUZ CUSTOMER !!!

image.png

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

Only three days left to Enter your Votes for the Top 5 Items

in

What Improvements Would you Like to See in the CRUZ Aircraft !!!

THANKS to ALL that have provided "Votes" already !

If you haven't yet voted,   send me an email at SCFLIERADM@yahoo.com 

with your list of Top 5 Items in Priority Order.

The Final Votes are in.

The "Top 5" Improvements desired by SCFLIER Forum Voters for the CRUZ Aircraft are:

1. Letter of Authorization from CSA to allow incorporation of the Dynon Angle of Attack Probe to feed D-100 and SkyView AOA Displays
  2. Improved Cruise Speed and Climb Performance
  3. Improved Engine Cooling on the Ground especially in Hot Climates
  4. Improved Reliability of the Ducati Rectifier/Regulator, especially in Hot Conditions
  5. Improved Inside Cockpit Canopy Release Handle

An "Honorable Mention" item ranked high for everyone wanting to equip for ADS-B OUT FAA Compliance before 1/1/2020,  is for CSA to provide Letters of Authorization to allow installation of ADS-B OUT Equipment, especially for the Non SkyView equipped,  older configuration CRUZ Aircraft.

For more details on the Ranked list,   please see the attached picture below.

ALL of the items on the Ranked list, including those that did not receive significant "voting" interest,  

will be sent forward to Patrick Arnzen of US Sport Aircraft KADS,  for discussion with Czech Sport Aircraft.

thanks to everyone for participating.

D

CRUZ_IMPROVEMENTS_FINAL_RANKED_LIST_7-18-2016.jpg

Thanks Dave for the results. We can only hope these suggested improvements do not fall upon deaf ears. Please be sure you translate this into Czech before presenting it to the factory. We dont want there to be any chance of "lost in translation".  :D

I'm a bit surprised by the 2nd most wanted item, didn't people know they were buying a "light sport" and not a Mooney?  :D Sorry had to poke fun at that one.

FYI  SCFLIER FORUM Members

Patrick Arnzen of US Sport Aircraft now has our "Ranked List of Improvements Desired for the CRUZ Aircraft" in hand.

Patrick committed to discussing this CRUZ Improvements List with the folks from Czech Sport Aircraft next week at Oshkosh.

Go Patrick Go !!!