What IMPROVEMENTS would you like to see in the CRUZ aircraft ?

A “status” report on whether Czech Sport Aircraft is “improving” their SportCruiser  S-LSA aircraft.  

Way back in 2016, we here on SCFLIER generated a List of

”What Improvements Would You Like to See in the CRUZ SportCruiser Aircraft ?”.

Active, Participating SCFLIER Members voted on their “Top 5” choices,  and I tabulated the votes and posted this Ranked SportCruiser Improvement List. 

post-71-0-03912100-1485202479.jpg

The above Ranked Improvement list was hand delivered to CSA Management at Oshkosh 2016 by the Previous Importer, Patrick Arnzen. 

For discussion, and I fully expect those that continue to “Dislike” CSA to maintain their Opinions, yet these owners do like very much to fly their CSA/CZAW produced  CRUZ LSA Airplanes, 

here are my opinions on CSA’s Improvements to date, focused on the Top 5 Items:

• CSA LOA to allow use of the Dynon AOA Probe to feed the D-100 EFIS and SkyView Displays - ZERO RESPONSE from CSA on this proven (by ELSA owners) simple, easy, and useful Safety Oriented Upgrade.  
  • Improved Cruise Speed and Climb Performance - CSA has researched available engine Upgrade options and chosen the 115 Hp Edge Performance Fuel Injected Upgrade to the existing Rotax 912 engine. An extra 15 Hp can improve Climb performance, and Fuel Injection can improve cold engine starting & fuel economy.   The Edge Performance Upgrade would not add as much additional weight to the already heavy SportCruiser as do other Rotax engine choices.  Of course Edge Performance does not have the long, proven Reliability history of Rotax engines.   
  • Improved Engine Cooling on the ground in Hot Temperature climates - CSA has developed a new lower cowling with a larger bottom opening that is said to help cooling during long Taxi Times in Hot Temperature Conditions.   Currently, the new lower cowling design is only available for the “non rectangular radiator opening” cowling seen on  later model SportCruisers.
  • Improve the Reliability of the Ducati Rectifier/Regulator - No specific Ducati Production Control Solder Quality & Stiffer Potting Compound material response from CSA/Rotax/Ducati, although it is possible that the new larger lower cowling opening may help Ducati’s survive longer.  
  • Improved Inside Cockpit Canopy release handle - No Response from CSA. 
  • On a Top Request from SportCruiser & PiperSport LSA owners, “provide a LOA for ADS-B OUT Solutions”, CSA has Responded with two options - 1) for those CRUZ aircraft with the taller instrument panel, CSA provided a Service Bulletin for installation of the excellent, legal for use in All airspace world wide, Garmin GTX335 1090 MHz Extended Squitter Transponder with ADS-B OUT (only), and 2) CSA has developed a Letter Of Authorization “Request Process”.   I am unaware of any owner testing this new “pay CSA for an LOA” process.   And, many SCFLIERs have suggested that the also excellent, less expensive  Garmin GDL82 “EASIER ADS-B OUT 978 MHz UAT Solution” would be a great way to retrofit many of the older CZAW produced SportCruisers with an “Easy” ADS-B OUT solution that would ONLY be allowed in USA Airspace below 18,000 ft. 

An Internet forum like SCFLIER is a great way to get discussion going on topics  important to Pilots Flying the many different models of SportCruisers.

Comments ?

Dave

PS    We all have varying opinions on the best way to solve “SportCruiser problems” and IMPROVE an already GREAT LSA Aircraft - The Czech Sport Aircraft SportCruiser/PiperSport.  

As your Friendly Admin, It’s perfectly OK to Disagree with another SCFLIER’s ideas, but let’s All

RESPECT 

other Member’s Ideas and Comments  -

maybe that will help bring out the 98% of our total “Nonparticipating” SCFLIER Members who only “Lurk” in the background, and never Post their OWN  opinions and comments on SCFLIER...

I continue to believe that a higher

SCFLIER 

MEMBER PARTICIPATION RATE 

would increase the useful CRUZ LSA knowledge shared on the SCFLIER FORUM !

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI Dave,

Thanks for keeping track of this list of improvements.  I agree that these are all things that us Sportcruiser owners would enjoy as enhancements to our aircraft.

I would respectfully add one more item to the list for our owners’ consideration:  A cowling vent much the one that The Aircraft Factory uses on their aircraft. This would allow airflow under the cowling, and still allow hot air to escape when taxiing or parked on the ramp (and maybe negate the need to open the oil filler flap (which acts like a chimney) to vent the hot air.  (See image below)

I’d also think that, beyond restyled racing seats, that maybe introducing an alternative location to the headphone jacks (or even re-shaping the panel where the jacks are located) would help to prevent any interference of headphone cords against the canopy latch handle.  Of course re-adjusting the latch itself (as Shawn has suggested) so that it latches more positively is a “must do” adjustment.  But having something that secures that handle or isolates the handle from the headphone cords would be helpful.

As for the Edge Performance engine, it is actually lighter than the 912 ULS and significantly lighter than the 915is.  The Edge Performance EFI kit removes about 2kg of weight from the nose (where we Sportcruiser owners actually need the weight due to the aft CG limitation).  I believe big bore kits (like the Zipper big bore) remove another 3 pounds (about 1.3 kg) of weight due to the lighter weight forged pistons and billet Aluminum, CNC milled cylinder bores.  I believe Edge Performance’s big bore kit provides the same weight savings.  I doubt CSA would make this an option for their new S-LSA aircraft (just the E-LSA ones for a complete Edge Performance engine since they offer a (shorter) warranty on their complete engines), and I doubt an LOA would be issued for either the EFI kit or big bore kits.

And apologies to all, but I’m going to add one of my pet peeves.  It would be great of CSA would create an “Option 2” for the Fuel Return Line kit.  I just don’t like the epoxy barb on the fuel tank where it’s submerged by fuel 90% of the time.  It’s begging for a leak.  Why not put together a kit using a current fuel tank with the welded barb along with cork strips, the fuel “spider” and restrictor, fuel line, and the required rivets?  Yes it’s more expensive, but it’s safer and the wing has to come off anyway to do the job with the existing kit or to replace the fuel tank.  

A2A20E98-FC94-43ED-8175-687C0E70D78F.jpeg