I have been having some issues with my carbs (I think)... while in a climb it feels like someone has pulled the throttle back about 20-25% for just a couple of seconds... this has occurred twice now on two separate flights. I have checked everything I am authorized. Several people have suggested the floats might be saturated or leaking and to weigh them. I bought new floats and weighed the old ones exactly the same as the new ones. Others have suggested vapor lock; I have 260 hours on the engine have never experienced this issue. The plane is in the shop now for its annual and I am hoping that they can find the cause. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

by the way, what is the typical rate for an annual in your area ??? Just curious...

IMG_1693.JPG

Sounds like debris in the carburetors.

Suggest you drop the bowls and inspect for foreign objects. Very simple to do. See the YouTube video on how to do that.

If carbs are free of debris, then perhaps they need to be resynchronized. There is a Rotax video on that also.

Great discussion

in the future, please post carburetor issues down under 

“MAINTENANCE Issues and Answers”

subtopic 

“ROTAX Engine”

near the bottom of the SCFLIER categories.

when I get back from travel to a “real computer” not a phone, I will move this entire topic under “Maintenance / Rotax Engine”

thanks

D

Admin

On 4/22/2018 at 12:18 AM, WmInce said:

Sounds like debris in the carburetors.

Suggest you drop the bowls and inspect for foreign objects. Very simple to do. See the YouTube video on how to do that.

If carbs are free of debris, then perhaps they need to be resynchronized. There is a Rotax video on that also.

I would suggest as Bill did. Check for debris and then do a carb sync. I'd start here. This will eliminate the obvious first.

Can you tell us what the temps were on these flights? OAT and engine temps? MOGAS or 100LL or both? Could be experiencing minor vapor lock if temps are high. You are already at 4400 feet just rolling down the runway so add in some heat and, well, you get the picture. :o Any input from, dare I say it,  Bristell? :D

I'm on my 3rd set of floats since I bought the plane. First set lasted 8 1/2 years, finally sunk. Second set lasted 2 years exactly, peeling skins. So far so good on the third but they've only been going for about 5 months. They are due for inspection next month.

On 4/21/2018 at 11:47 PM, Hwick2000 said:

by the way, what is the typical rate for an annual in your area ??? Just curious...

You are going to get rates all over the map with this question. I pay $400 for labor only, no parts. I change my own oil and filter the day before I fly up for my annual. And I supply my own NGK plugs, all parts bought from Lockwood. I have the quick drain on my oil canister so no crush washer to buy. I spend about $85 at Lockwood and I get to fly down and pick up my parts for "same day" delivery. All in, about $500 barring no other issues come up. Oh, and get breakfast at the restaurant in Sebring. Yippee! (I did add in the cost of breakfast :D)

Thank you all for your responses... I will certainly take them into consideration. Both time when this issue happened the OAT was just above freezing between 34-36 degrees. Engine temperature was about 150 just in the green. Altitude on the first time was 8500 take off was 6400. The second time was 5400 taking off from 4440. I typically run 91 octane Mogas. 

So far the only thing the A&P could find was a slightly loose air line from the air intake to the carb... and no obvious debris.

The annual here is a flat rate of ??? $1100. Then parts and additional labor.... I also provided the plugs, oil, filter etc.

Thanks DavePilot I will put future issues in the maintenance section...

IMG_1703.JPG

12 minutes ago, Hwick2000 said:

The annual here is a flat rate of ??? $1100. Then parts and additional labor.... I also provided the plugs, oil, filter etc.

Ouch !!! That hurt all the way back here in Florida. :o  I almost fell out of my chair reading that one. :D I see that you stated you are using an A&P so that may be one reason for the higher expense. 

Those are certainly cool temps but really high elevations for sure. If you drop both zeros on the end then you be at my elevation. 

Any word from the manufacturer or the importer on a possible cause?  

Keep us updated please.