On 3/25/2018 at 1:16 AM, Hwick2000 said:

I have a Twin brother in Northwest Florida, looking to get into LSA on a budget  ?... I saw a 2010 SC fully loaded Dynon glass panels and only 200 hrs. Hangared in Bisbee AZ. On barnstormer.com listed for $85k 

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Looks to be a pretty nicely equipped PiperSport Harold with low hours. The only way to tell is to dive into the logbooks and have a THOROUGH pre-buy inspection done. There are going to be a few SB's that you'll need to check, some rather expensive to comply with, to really know if it's a good deal or not. The seller should be able to email you a copy of the logs. Mine did as he was about 4 hours away at the time.

Bob (rtk) has a good point, send him to Sun-n-Fun to have a closer look around. Be sure the useful load will suit him for his flying needs.

This is a bit premature but if he buys it and needs it ferried here my instructor/mechanic can help and he's very affordable. He has about 800+ hours in a SportCruiser. A lot of them in mine.

Out of curiosity, what city does your brother live in? By "northwest" do you mean the panhandle or northwest on the peninsula? I'm in Clearwater and get up that way every now and then. I have a friend who live in Cannon Creek Airpark in Lake City which is a fly in community. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/24/2018 at 10:42 PM, rtk said:

Hwick2000, those are some awesome pictures of Lake Tahoe!  How does your Bristell perform at those altitudes, and taking off from your airstrip?  I think your elevation is around 4,400 feet?  Any density altitude concerns?

Today's flight was an example of the altitudes up here flew almost 4 hours today, 2 in my Bristell and 2 in a Cessna Skywagon 180. Between 8500-9000 it seemed like it was sluggish in the climb but after 9000 up to 11500 was fine? A friend said it could have been a slight inversion there. My 912 is air aspirated, I had heard the injected version don't have as much problem climbing to higher altitudes. I have had it as high as 14,500 and it was still climbing; but I thought it safer to get back down (I was going over Grant Peak 12000). In the summer I don't go to Tahoe unless it very early because of the density altitude. Today I landed at Bridgeport the field is at 6400 but you have to make 11000 to get there. Flying in these mountains especially in the spring and fall is breathtaking, it so beautiful. 

IMG_1696.JPG

IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1700.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

Great photos, Hwick2000!  Did you bring oxygen to fly at those flight levels?  If so, was it the bottle with inhaler mask, or did you have a cannula?

There's another LSA pilot not far from you in Mammoth Lakes:  Ed Cessnalis.  He flies a yellow CTsw and flies over the Sierra Nevada mountain ranges to take amazing photographs.  Here's his website, if interested in his photography:  http://www.edcesnalis.com

He frequents to CT Flier forum in case you have any interest in chatting with a nearby LSA pilot.  

I have a desire to fly up your way since (as I think I mentioned before) I have a friend in the Carson City area.  But I'd probably fly along the valley (avoid the cinder cone volcano!) and maybe land in Lone Pine or Bishop for breaks - possibly Lee Vining.  I am interested in fuel injection and have been following Edge Performance's offerings pretty closely.  Once I become E-LSA, I'll look a little closer.

Wow!!! Ed does some great photography... I have a small bottle (1 liter) of O2 with nasal cannula in the plane, but I have never used it. Typically if I go above 12,000 it's only for a few minutes to clear terrain. 

Last time I went through SoCal I flew up from Bishop threw the Valley and crossed the Sierras from Modesto up through Placerville and over South Lake Tahoe. It's a beautiful route and a moderate climb to 11,000 over the top.

Next time you in Carson City, l would enjoy flying with you. Also if you need I've got extra hangar space.

On 4/1/2018 at 1:21 AM, Hwick2000 said:

Flying in these mountains especially in the spring and fall is breathtaking, it so beautiful. 

Those are some amazing photos Harold, thanks. You are correct, just breathtaking. I've been out that way but not in the winter months.