Hello, I'm new to the Group. Thanks for the add.

Welcome, Joe!  Good luck on the training and let us know how it's coming along!  The Piper Sport/Sportcruiser is a spectacular aircraft to fly, and I'm sure you'll enjoy training in it!

Keep an eye on Barnstormers, Controller, or Trade-a-Plane for available aircraft.  You can also reach out to Patrick Arnzen at Thrust Flight as he was the former distributor, knows the plane inside and out, and has a very good connection to aircraft for sale.

One thing for sure - you're on the better side of the country as there seems to be a lot more Sportcruisers/Piper Sport aircraft on the Eastern half of the country vs. the Western half!

22 hours ago, Torkman70 said:

I'm a new student pilot training in a pipersport.  I'm currently in the market for one as well.  I live just North of Memphis, TN.

Joe

Welcome Joe and good luck with your training. I bought my SportCruiser about half way through my training and finished up in my own plane. I was glad to do it this way, no need for any "transition training" after I got my SPL. :D

As RTK stated, keep and eye on the usual suspects for aircraft sales. All 3 websites are a great source for used aircraft. Ask any question you have as someone here has the answer for you. Good luck in your search for a plane as well, they are awesome to own and fly. 

DeltaFox

excellent post on the LSAERONAUT Blog.  Agree.

The details on wiring a Garmin GDL-39 ADS-B IN Traffic and Weather Receiver to a Garmin 696 GPS Display are well documented on the SCFLIER Forum. 

My CRUZ aircraft is (since 2016) Experimental E-LSA and the GDL-39 wired interface to 696 GPS Display works well.   A Proven wired 696 Display interface.  Very useful and Easy to Do.   Having the local TRAFFIC and WEATHER displayed on the INSTRUMENT PANEL Mounted 696 GPS is awesome !

Of course, a SportCruiser/PiperSport aircraft owner can use the Czech approved 1090 MHz GTX-335 ADS-B OUT (Only) S-LSA solution, coupled with a PORTABLE (not hard wired) GDL-39 (or the new Garmin GDL-50) ADS-B IN Traffic and Weather receiver to display Traffic and Weather on a portable iPAD in flight, but I am a strong believer on having the TRAFFIC and WEATHER displayed on the GPS Installed in the Aircraft Panel.

And, the GARMIN GDL-82 978 MHz UAT ADS-B OUT solution is much easier to install than the 1090 MHz GTX-335, the GDL-82 solution is cheaper, and works with most Mode C (not Mode S) Transponders.  The GDL-82 ADS-B OUT Solution is Highly recommended.  But the Czechs don’t like it because 978 MHz ADS-B OUT UAT devices are not legal for use in Europe, or anywhere outside the USA.

And, While I agree that getting the Czech Manufacturer to approve Letters of Authorization is VERY difficult, they have issued LOA’s in the past - I have several from the US Sport Aircraft Importer era when my aircraft was still S-LSA.  Easy to get approved ?  NO.  But LOA’s for tail number specific S-LSA CRUZ Aircraft do exist, including my LOA for an ADS-B OUT device, a more accurate two pointer round gage backup altimeter, ...., more...

Also, during the Cruiser Aircraft USA SportCruiser  Importer era, the Czech management does have a new method that allows an aircraft owner to “Pay for LOA“ development.  As far as I know, no USA SportCruiser Aircraft owner has used this path to get an LOA.   It’s easy to be negative about the Czech support after the sale, but this “Pay For LOA” method DOES EXIST.  

If an aircraft owner wants to spend time, money, and frustration working with the Czechs using the new “Pay For LOA” method, I am willing to help.  At the very least, dealing with the Czechs will build strong character.

Dave   

See this link on SCFLIER for GDL-39 to  696 GPS wiring details (and other Proven ADS-B IN GPS Display methods).

PROVEN ADS-B IN solutions for CRUZ LSA - General Avionics Discussion - Invision Community

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2020 at 6:34 PM, ShawnM said:

Welcome Joe and good luck with your training. I bought my SportCruiser about half way through my training and finished up in my own plane. I was glad to do it this way, no need for any "transition training" after I got my SPL. :D

As RTK stated, keep and eye on the usual suspects for aircraft sales. All 3 websites are a great source for used aircraft. Ask any question you have as someone here has the answer for you. Good luck in your search for a plane as well, they are awesome to own and fly. 

Thanks ShawnM