Hello from Omaha!

Greetings!! My name is Anthony and I am active duty Air Force stationed at Offutt AFB in Omaha NE. Relatively new private pilot and I’m in the market for a plane. Currently weighing options, I really like the idea of light sport either a CT or sport cruiser. I’m more of a high wing guy. But I also really like the low wing cruisers. I haven’t had a chance to fly a cruiser yet, so if there is anyone in the Omaha area that has one that wouldn’t mind taking me up for a ride i would greatly appreciate it. Looking forward to getting more involved in this forum and learning as much as possible about this plane!

Welcome Tony.  I was stationed at Offutt (Looking Glass) 1998-2001.  I believe there is a SportCruiser for sale from forum member dakotaguy up in Sioux Falls, not far from you.  I think the SportCruiser is the best LSA for the money but the used prices are going up and the market for them is pretty hot right now despite the economy. 

Hi Tony, welcome and thank you for your service to our country. 

The SportCruiser is the best looking LSA on the market. Seems odd you'd consider a "flying sperm cell" over a beautiful SportCruiser. :D If I had to buy a high wing I'd look at the Remos or a Tecnam. Remos being the affordable high wing and the Tecnam breaking the bank. There are of course many in between. Good luck in your search.

I did my full cert training in the CT.  Certainly pro's and con's to each, but the final tally says that I would never trade my SportsCruiser back for one :)

Shawn is spot on with the looks!  It may sound silly since it isn't related to anything tangible, but I can't count how many times I get complimented on the cool looking plane at random FBO's and airport restaurants.  Last week I landed and walked into (C29) and the young woman behind the FBO counter said she was taking pictures out the window since landing since it was such a cool looking plane.  There is something to be said for that!

Hi Anthony - welcome from me as well!

I trained in a Remos GX and, aside from awkward luggage space, it's quite a nice plane.  It's very docile and flies very nicely.  I like that it has foldable wings so you can also trailer it to the airport or (more likely) fold the wings and share hangar rent with someone that can use the other 2/3rds.

That said, when I went looking for my own plane, I couldn't resist the Sportcruiser.  I love the way it flies and the ramp appeal, and the fact that it's all (mostly?) metal.  In my mind, the only thing the Remos has over the Sportcruiser is ease of entry (though you still do have to swing your leg over the control stick, and you have to accept 1 of 3 seat positions.

Let us know what you end up with!

Hey Tony. Welcome to the forum. I am a low time pilot and new Sportcruiser owner as well. I just bought one last July. I’ve had a couple of issues with it and the guys on here are a great source of information and willing to help. Good luck in your search and welcome.