N520PS now lives in Jacksonville Florida

We purchased our white & red 2010 PiperSport in Titusville recently with a little over 400 hours on the clock. After the mandatory 5 hours insurance check out it was repositioned to Craig Exec in Jax. The plane appeared cosmetically perfect and well maintained except for trailing edge flap damage from stray feet. This is our first foray into light sport. Our previous flying experience was with Aztec, Comanche B, Pitts S2B, Great Lakes and the usual 182's and Pipers. One point I noticed during check out was that the PiperSport taxis just like our S2B only without the S turns. Kind of like having the tailwheel on the wrong end.

We have done some minor work so far (reline brakes, replace tires) and have some more to do so we'll be looking for an experienced LSRM in this area.If anyone can recommend someone we would appreciate it!

From the logs it looks like the right brake has been bled and fiddled with a lot. It was leaking from a loosened b-nut on the right caliper when I got it back to Jax. Back in 2011 at 184 hours it had the right gear leg, tire and tube replaced. Hard landing, I suppose? BRS repack had not been done so we got that accomplished. 5 year hose replacement has never been done so that is next.

We are looking forward to Leisurely, low and slow cross countries in our new bird. Hope to meet some of you along the way.

Gary & Chris Goodenow KCRG, hangar 15

Welcome to the forum, Gary and Chris!  Sounds like you're getting your new-to-you Piper Sport well sorted!

We have some members here who are A&Ps with Sportcruiser experience (Necco, Mel, others) and maybe they might know someone close to Jacksonville.

It would be great to meet the folks on this forum.  I'm out on the West Coast, so not very close to the majority of Sportcruiser/Piper Sport owners, but if anyone ever flies out this direction, I'd be happy to meet up!

Welcome Gary and Chris, there used to be another member who was based at Craig but he has since sold his PiperSport. I'm down in Clearwater. There is another PiperSport owner/member in the Tampa area and a couple of other members in the Tampa are who we hope are "soon-to-be" owners. There are many owners all over Florida.

Glad you are liking the PiperSport, all the issues you speak of are minor and part of the fun of ownership. Also glad you are getting all the other little issues worked out as well. I also have that infamous "flap damage" from the previous owners knees and/or feet. I wrapped the step with 3M grip tape so it doesn't happen again. :D

The Florida SportCruiser family is growing again. We need to plan a meet up this fall when it cools down.

Welcome aboard. 

• 2 months later...

Update! N520PS has a new nickname. "ELSA". The process was relatively painless. We've received immense help from this forum. You have all made our entry into the LSA world much easier. Thank you! We've also met some competent friendly people in the form of LSRM and DAR here in Florida. Now on to the mods to our "new" E-LSA cruiser.

Chris & Gary

Shawn,

A lot of the "smooth" part came from you. Chris and I appreciate all your good advice. The Sport Cruiser organization is missing the boat by not closely supporting the existing customer base. Satisfied customers sell new airplanes. Maybe that attitude was why the Piper relationship was so short. 

Thanks again,

Chris & Gary

48 minutes ago, Chris & Gary said:

Satisfied customers sell new airplanes. 

You hit the nail on the head with this statement Gary. Maybe one day CSA will support existing customers and improve those relations. This is me "dreaming BIG".  :D

Just glad to help and hear that you and Chris have cleared the last hurdle to LSA freedom. Hope you can make it to the LSA show in Deland next week. Would love to see your new E-LSA SportCruiser in person. You are very welcome for any support and advice I may have provided and once again welcome to the E-LSA SportCruiser family. 

Congrats Gary and Chris on ELSA!  👍🏻😀   So glad to read that the conversion process was smooth!

Shawn is a great asset to these forums.  He too guided me on my E-LSA journey.  And having the freedom to change all that I WANTED for MY SAFETY makes it absolutely worthwhile to go this route.  Copying Shawn's panel, and taking advice from Dave (our forum Admin), I went with a GDL-82, GDL-39, and Aera 660 that really make a HUGE difference in improving the panel and information being presented to me, as well as SAFETY since I can now see traffic.  Way better than just the "out" solution that the factory approved via a GTX-335.