2010 Pipersport N413PS now in Northern California

42 minutes ago, uropilot said:

Hello everyone.  Have been a member for a few months, but just picked up my plane.   I'm a low time pilot and first time owner, so this forum has been extremely helpful.  And thank you Deltafox for the landing tips, they've been working out very well. 

John

Congrats on the purchase John. I remember the feeling when I bought my SportCruiser which is also my first plane. The feeling I had flying my very own plane home was priceless. :D

Enjoy !!

Thanks for the warm welcome.  I'm in Placerville (PVF), and from the local reaction, this is the first plane of its kind in the area.   

I do have a question about the nose gear.  I've ordered the reinforcement for the firewall, but what is the consensus regarding the necessity to replace the nose gear?  If money were no object . . .

The nose strut is the weakest part of the airplane (IMHO). Unfortunately I've had each generation on Sally. Contact Certus (https://www.certusaircraft.com/) to get a quote.

Try this link for additional information: https://lsaeronaut.blogspot.com/2012/11/at-us-sport-aircraft.html

Edited by Deltafox
added link

01_NLG_STRUT_LegArmAssy_SG0310N_Acknowle

5a24933526750_NLGVersions.jpg.14321b5fd2

Slide20.JPG.9b086ef936e0bbae45df7f3cc5d9

Slide21.JPG.96d28efdda0c8a36ca900787516a

recommend checking the cruiseraircraft website for applicable service bulletins for your particular aircraft. 

below is a sampling of landing gear (nose and main gear) bulletins 

5 hours ago, uropilot said:

Thanks for the warm welcome.  I'm in Placerville (PVF), and from the local reaction, this is the first plane of its kind in the area.   

I do have a question about the nose gear.  I've ordered the reinforcement for the firewall, but what is the consensus regarding the necessity to replace the nose gear?  If money were no object . . .

If money were no object I'd own a Pilatus PC-12 which doesn't have NLG issues, but alas I'm just a poor ol' SportCruiser owner, but I'm not complaining. :D 

My plan of attack would be to first determine which leg is on the plane. Is it the original 2010 NLG? Any log entries of it ever being inspected or replaced? Once you determine which leg you have I'd perform a VERY THOROUGH  inspection of the leg, spindle and fork looking for bends or cracks anywhere on the leg. This will require you to of course removed the wheel pant completely and also remove the wheel. Clean and degrease everything and then go over it from top to bottom with a fine toothed comb. If everything checks out and you find no damage then why replace it? If it ain't broke.....

The SB requires you to inspect it and if you find nothing wrong you can leave it alone. Then there are subsequent inspections for compliance. A thorough inspection of the NLG should be part of your preflight inspection anyway. As DeltaFox pointed out above, it's the most delicate part of the airplane. Always has been and always will be. No matter which NLG is on your plane.  

But if you have $5000 burning a hole in your pocket then order up a complete new NLG and have your favorite LSRM replace it for you. :o

Let us know what you find out and your plan of attack. 

6 hours ago, uropilot said:

So the old gear, but no cracks.  I am having the firewall reinforced, however.  I'm learning alot by going over old posts in this forum.  Thanks for all of your input.

John

Glad to hear all is good John. Treat the NLG properly and it'll last a good long time. Give it a thorough inspection on a regular schedule. On your landings, hold the nose wheel off as long as possible and let it come down softly. Make sure the breakout torque is set properly and the air pressure is correct on the nose wheel. Both equally important.

The reinforcement kit can't hurt, just be sure your mechanic doesn't tell you the engine has to come out to install it, it doesn't. :D

• 2 weeks later...

The 3rd generation NLG is $3995. Your 2010 Pipersport came with 2nd generation. You could simply inspect every 25 landings and cross your fingers. The bad side of that is if the NLG DOES fail your will have prop strike, engine damage, underside damage, and whatever else happens when you leave the runway, including injury to self or passenger. I'd imagine the plane would be close to a writeoff. I'm going to speculate that by the time you see a crack it is close to failure and is unsafe, and I didn't want to get "that close". Although NLG failures are NOT common, they have occurred and shouldn't be discounted. Should you ever sell the plane buyers are looking for both the new NLG and, of course, no history of damage.