An open letter to potential new Aircraft Owners of a USA S-LSA SportCruiser

One of the most common comments I get during "sign up" from potential new SCFLIER SportCruiser forum members is

“I am ready to buy a SportCruiser,  and I want to read the SCFLIER Forum to learn about the aircraft, problems,  manufacturer support,  Pilot's ideas  …

here are my standard comments = perhaps blunt. but true 

"Be aware that there is little to no Czech Aircraft Manufacturer support for AIRCRAFT SPECIFIC parts in the USA..

CruiserAircraft in the Czech Republic builds the SportCruiser (called the PS-28 in Europe) at Kunovice Airport Czech Republic.

An aircraft specific part,  for example - a fiberglass engine cowling,  an elevator or aileron control service,  a
Bracket holding the instrument panel to the center console — literally can take months to YEARS to get from the Czech SportCruiser Aircraft Manufacturer.

Rotax engine parts,  brakes, tires, engine oil, heater control cables, Garmin / Dynon / PS Engineering and others’ parts,  for example, Avionics are easily purchased from the manufacturer or from multiple suppliers in the USA.

Over the last 14 years,  the Czech Aircraft manufacturers has gone bankrupt twice.  They no longer attend Oshkosh and have not sold a new aircraft to a private aircraft owner in the USA for years.   They sell SportCruisers primarily to Flight Schppls in Europe.

All that being said,  the SportCruiser is a fine Light Sport Aircraft.  It is easy to fly,  sporty,  economical,  and relatively fast.  

But Useful load is VERY Limited with full fuel and/or two large people.  The 1320 lb max LSA takeoff weight is strict.

Some pilots convert their SportCruiser S-LSA to Experimental E-LSA thru a USA FAA Approved DAR to allow them to make ANY changes to the aircraft.    An S-LSA REQUIRES written tail number specific approval from the aircraft manufacturer - a Letter Of Authorization  (LOA) and the Czechs will NOT do that. 

I really enjoy flying my Sport Cruiser !  It catches attention anywhere I land.  

I have converted my S-LSA SportCruiser to Experimental E-LSA - years  ago - and have updated the avionics and even changed the engine from the factory stock  Rotax 912 to a Rotax 914 Turbo engine achieving major performance gains. 
Love the airplane.

Dave

A highly Recommended  article on LSAs in the USA below.

LSA’s are DIFFERENT - the FAA rules MUST BE UNDERSTOOD !

S-LSA FAA Operating Limitations are Key !  READ THEM 

• DavePilot changed the title to An open letter to potential new Aircraft Owners of a USA S-LSA SportCruiser

Peter

i understand.

the answer,  like any aviation question is 

It Depends…

Does a potential buyer have a great bargain deal pending on an extraordinarily well maintained older SportCruiser ?

Does the SportCruiser fit the potential owner’s MISSION for the aircraft ?

Is the potential owner (or their Mechanic, or both ?) capable of making/building their own “aircraft specific” parts or willing to search an aircraft salvage yard for these factory used airplane specific parts ?

Is the new owner willing to immediately convert the S-LSA SportCruiser to Experimental E-LSA ?

Has the S-LSA SportCruiser aircraft been kept in  “factory stock S-LSA” condition with excellent LogBook documentation ?

Are there Factory signed tail number specific LOA’s for any “non-factory built” S-LSA aircraft modifications ? 

Can the potential new aircraft owner easily pay for a new Bristell or Tecnam ?  (I am NOT in that situation, but if I win the lottery, I would go for a Bristell with the Rotax 915iS engine…)

Or is the “buy an aircraft” budget very tight ?

There are lots of factors.  And these factors CHANGE depending on the potential buyer.

Factory support is certainly one of the factors.  A very big factor to some,  if not many.  

“Slightly bending” an aircraft can be an eye opener to some.

And, the SportCruiser is STILL a great airplane…  we absolutely love ours.  

And I enjoy upgrading the airplane well beyond what the Czechs build today.  

Also,  I recently found some excellent “aircraft specific” CRUZ parts at salvage.   A bargain !

And, my superb A&P / IA Mechanic can make just about anything himself.  

And I LOVE wiring up new Avionics systems…

These “it Depends…” factors are all choices.  

Owning an airplane is NOT a necessity…

Dave

Converting to ELSA doesn't solve the parts problem from the Czechs, it just means you (or some person somewhere) can "fabricate" a part.  Not my cup a tea, but I know guys that live for that kind of stuff.  Not sure I would buy an aircraft that needs parts fabrication for long term support or at the first really bad landing.  Especially with new ones at $225,000.  There have been two new ones sold to private owners in the US by the way in recent months.  I would hold off and wait until the MOSAIC ruling comes out before I pulled the trigger on anything at this point.  President of Vans is making comments and pushing hard to get most or all the Vans RVs inside the MOSAIC performance envelope.  If I went experimental I would prefer to go with someone like Vans that has parts for most of its model lineup and a support network that is world class.  Or consider Sling, Bristell or Tecnam.

I love my airplane and will keep flying it because I have the best mechanic in the US and he has never been unable to get a CRUZ part relatively quickly.  Maybe that will change, dunno.  As long as that arrangement continues I'll press on but if I was starting over it would be something else.  

8 hours ago, FlyAgain said:

Converting to ELSA doesn't solve the parts problem from the Czechs, it just means you (or some person somewhere) can "fabricate" a part.

FlyAgain

I agree !

CruiserAircraft obviously builds great parts for their very fine Light Sport Aircraft,  the PS-28 (called the SportCruiser in the USA).  

The SportCruiser IS a rugged, well built airplane.  

I would MUCH rather get the actual manufacturer’s original part - these parts have served us all well over the years !

And for those that have had a minor accident, replacing bent parts with factory  original design replacement parts is the best path to flying again !

Using only factory original aircraft specific parts is why I have been waiting for a LONG time to get the factory original center instrument panel bottom bracket !

The conversion to Experimental E-LSA does allow an aircraft owner to make “minor”changes to the aircraft - an example - installing a new Garmin Aera 760 GPS as an upgraded GPS replacement to the factory original Garmin 796 GPS.  

And even a “MAJOR”Change - one that may affect aircraft flying performance as long as the E-LSA remains USA FAA Legal in the Light Sport Aircraft category - for example, installing  a new brand fixed pitch propeller - can be done by coordinating with the FAA and returning the aircraft to Phase I flight test as described in the E-LSA Operating Limitations.

But obviously keeping the strong, well proven, reliable SportCruiser aircraft structure AS IS from the factory is always a wise  choice.

Bittom line - speeding up getting factory original parts delivery to USA SportCruiser aircraft owners (and delivering factory original parts in other locations like the UK) would be great !

Dave