Hello from Eastern NC

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a blast from the past Kevin. I remember that plane when it was here in Florida back in 2015 for a short while then Georgia. It's probably the only kit built SportCruiser here in the US. I believe I spoke to the owners son when I saw it for sale back then. I think the builder had died and his son was trying to sell it. It has an analog panel if I remember with some custom interior/seats.

Best part is that it's experimental !!!

It does. They added a couple of G5s, Aera 660, And GMC 305. I haven’t learned it all yet. You’re right though. They did say it was the first or only kit build in the US. The book that it came with showed the kit. It looked like a quick build. Looked like it was built and just needed to be assembled 

That’s great, at least it has some modern goodies in the panel. I have a 660 in my panel and love it. I forgot the G5 can drive an autopilot so the GMC305 is a handy addition. Similar to Dynon’s AP knob panels. I can vaguely remember the details of the plane and talking to the seller way back then. He did say something about it arriving in a container in pieces or something. Good luck with it and enjoy.

Kevin

Great looking SportCruiser !

I love the paint scheme  !

Could you send some pics of the Instrument Panel ?

I would love to learn how well the TWO G5’s and GMC 305 Autopilot work together…I assume you have Garmin Servos for pitch and roll ?  Is there a way to add a Garmin Yaw (rudder) Servo for Yaw Damper ?

Dave (aka Garmin Fanatic)

Garmin GMC 305 Auto Pilot Control Panel | Aircraft Spruce

Garmin GMC 305

23BD3F5A-4EB9-4C03-9E01-18D7632BC52E.jpeg

Great discussion from Vans Aircraft forum on the benefits of a Yaw Damper:

Garmin G3X RV-10 Autopilot Yaw Damper Option - VAF Forums

and, for Experimental E-LSA,  the Garmin GMC 507 looks interesting also…

Garmin GMC 507

B802C0F3-A290-412E-AACC-71310547F9EA.jpeg

Yaw Damper

9CBF4916-CCC1-40C9-A408-3D71E75C001F.jpeg

You all know I drank the Garmin Kool-Aid years ago and love their products. The G5's are no exception. They make great replacements for the old school steam gauges. I'm just surprised they didn't flush mount the G5's in the panel. I understand they wanted the simple, drop in install but they look so much better flush mounted. I've stacked two like your setup in a Cessna 172 and a Piper Arrow in a custom flush mount bracket that I make. When you are ready for a shiny new panel Kevin let me know. :D

Another alternative to the G5 is it's big brother the GI-175 but you need a second mortgage to buy a few. :o Another more affordable option is the uAvionix AV-30.

6 hours ago, Kevin said:

Hadn’t seen that guy 175 before. Looks nice, but out of my price range! 

I did stipulate you’d need a second mortgage to buy one. :o

The uAvionix AV-30 and AV-20 units are nice and somewhat affordable if you just wanna swap steam for glass. 

43 minutes ago, Kevin said:

The little bit I have now is more than I’ve ever flown with. I learned on steam. I’m trying to learn this stuff now. After I get the hang of it I might want an upgrade!

If you ever decide to go all glass,  upgrade the panel to Garmin G3X. It’s not cost effective to put 6 of any of those round gauges in a panel. Just food for thought.

14 hours ago, ShawnM said:

If you ever decide to go all glass,  upgrade the panel to Garmin G3X. It’s not cost effective to put 6 of any of those round gauges in a panel. Just food for thought.

Welcome Kevin! Congratulations on the purchase, you have a beautiful plane. I agree with Shawn's recommendation, and I am absolutely loving my G3X panel that he helped me build. However, if I had started out with a panel like yours and everything was in working order, I would just keep it as is and fly with it for a while. You hardly ever make your money back on avionics upgrades whenever it comes time to sell, and you want to make sure the Sportcruiser will fit your mission long enough that you are the one getting the benefits from doing the upgrade. But whenever that time comes, definitely call Shawn!

Garmin Panel.jpg

On 11/7/2022 at 9:50 PM, ShawnM said:

You all know I drank the Garmin Kool-Aid years ago and love their products. The G5's are no exception. They make great replacements for the old school steam gauges. I'm just surprised they didn't flush mount the G5's in the panel. I understand they wanted the simple, drop in install but they look so much better flush mounted. I've stacked two like your setup in a Cessna 172 and a Piper Arrow in a custom flush mount bracket that I make. When you are ready for a shiny new panel Kevin let me know. :D

Another alternative to the G5 is it's big brother the GI-175 but you need a second mortgage to buy a few. :o Another more affordable option is the uAvionix AV-30.

On 11/6/2022 at 9:55 PM, ShawnM said:

That's a blast from the past Kevin. I remember that plane when it was here in Florida back in 2015 for a short while then Georgia. It's probably the only kit built SportCruiser here in the US. I believe I spoke to the owners son when I saw it for sale back then. I think the builder had died and his son was trying to sell it. It has an analog panel if I remember with some custom interior/seats.

Best part is that it's experimental !!!

Shawn you may have missed your calling of installing avionics for a living, plus you love it.

Kevin  WOW! to have the one kit Sportcruiser in the states!

I would like to get my hands on that and yep Dynon Kool-Aid it would be.

Enjoy, it's the flying and the upgrades, but mainly the flying.

Smitty