Hello from Eastern NC

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Kevin said:

I’ll try it and see. I was wondering if somehow I may have something electrical going on, that you might have heard of, causing them to go bad.

Thanks Shawn

Nope, I've heard of no issues ever with wiring since they are plug and play and all wiring for them is internal to the engine. The only outside signal is the start signal from your key switch/start solenoid.  It's very rare they go bad but of course it does happen, we're both victims of this. :D 

Let us know what you find.

Rotax-Owner.com - ROTAX Tech Talk: “Troubleshooting the Rotax 912/914 ignition system”

Free Video !

but joining Rotax-Owner.Com is well worth the small cost…

D

From Lockwood.Aero in Florida 

Four important steps:

1) watch the video
2) follow Dean Vogel’s Rotax ignition system debug steps
3) write everything down that you did and saw and heard from the engine 
4) call Lockwood !

EEBF4BD0-D67F-44B4-BF9B-E32E444D6E52.jpeg

3E19A0BB-AAD4-4760-8270-CDF7D36BD3D9.jpeg

8D6EC7FA-D8A4-4586-A946-A55217FC12BD.jpeg

63B92CE7-B739-4FD1-B8A4-5115A62392E2.jpeg

WATCH THE VIDEO !!!

5CD136ED-528B-4AD6-9C3E-2C3C9EA103A5.jpeg

7D7B2AC5-C7C4-408F-AC43-70D115F72563.jpeg

What is the state of your aircraft’s starter battery ?

Have you checked the Aircraft’s heavy gauge wires and connections between the battery, starter solenoid on the firewall, and engine starter motor ?  The engine grounding wire ?

How about your ACS Key switch ? Service bulletin completed ?

1230770351_diodediagramforSportCruiser(M

What type of starter motor do you have ? They are relatively easy to replace…

D

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

I’m beginning to think something is going on keeping me from getting the RPMs needed for cranking.

I forget what it's called but there's this thing under the cowling that stores energy that rotates the starter when you turn the key, oh yeah, the battery. Silly me. :D 

Did you install the PC680 that you bought? The battery is the only thing that'll keep you from getting the RPM needed to initiate a spark from the coils. Never, never attempt to start the 912 with a weak battery, it'll end very badly with a very large repair bill. :o

Did you try the hot/cold test yet on your old module?

My money is on the old ignition module is also dying.

I also have my two old modules but I don't know which one is the bad one or I'd send it to you. I guess I need to take them to Lockwood on my next trip down to Sebring for breakfast.

Also Kevin I forgot to mention about your comment on getting enough RPM's. The engine should start in the first couple of rotations which is also the first few seconds of cranking. Seriously, if you have to crank the engine for more than 3-4 seconds then something is wrong. I assume it's this way for everyone but in the 9 years I've owned my plane it has started in the first few seconds of cranking.....EVERYTIME. The only time it didn't start was when my ignition modules went bad. It may be different for those of you in colder climates, not sure.

I do agree with Dave and Tpazara1 about the battery and cables. They must be clean and tight. The Odyssey is a powerful battery and can spin the engine very fast. If it's installed you have plenty of power to start you just need to make sure all that power is getting to the starter. 

When your ignition modules were going bad I'm not sure how long you kept the starter engaged trying to start the engine but maybe it's possible you could have damaged the starter or windings. Rotax states in the manuals that you should not crank the engine for more than 10 seconds at a time. If you do you have to let the starter cool for 2 minutes. Do you notice anything different in the sound of the starter?  Again with the PC-680 it should spin very fast when starting. Maybe take a video of the prop the next time you attempt to start and share it with us. I'm going to the airport this weekend and I'll do the same for comparison. 

Check your private messages also. 

Ugh, if the starter disengages on it own then more than likely it's the sprag. This is the first time you mentioned this. There are several factors than can lead to a damaged sprag like a weak battery, bad plugs or a bad carb sync. All these lead to hard starting and these take their toll on the sprag. This is why you are not getting the RPM needed to start, the starter and sprag.

We can talk this weekend when we both are at our respective airports.